Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com> on 2002/01/10 18:30:17 UTC

Re: [UPDATE] Scheme sitemap implementation

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:01:26 +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
> >
> > Folks,
> >
> > I've finished implementing the supporting functions in Scheme so I can
> > have a minimal functional sitemap that's executed in Scheme.
>
> <snip/>
>
> Way cool! :)
>
> Can you provide a minimal howto on how to set it up? (apologies if it's
> already there :)

Yes, sure. There's isn't much there yet, only the code I've written to
have a minimal sitemap running. In any case, to build it, here are the
steps:

- build Cocoon first:

  $ cd xml-cocoon2/
  $ sh build.sh

- build the Scheme version:

  $ cd src/scratchpad/schecoon
  $ ant webapp

The ant command assumes you have ant in your PATH. This command will
create a build/schecoon.war file. Just take it and deploy it on your
servlet container. Alternatively, for development purposes, if you're
using Tomcat 3.3, add the following file in the conf/ directory:

--- apps-schecoon.xml ---

<webapps>
   <Context path="/schecoon"
            docBase="/your/path/to/xml-cocoon2/src/scratchpad/schecoon/build/webapp/"
            debug="1"
            reloadable="true" />
</webapps>

-- end of apps-schecoon.xml --

If you're an Emacs user, you can interact with the Scheme interpreter
in Cocoon, by following the instructions in
src/scratchpad/schecoon/emacs/README. This will allow you to update
Scheme definitions in the running Cocoon directly from the editor,
without having to restart the web application.

For now the only URL's the sitemap knows about are:

/schecoon/documentation/index.html
/schecoon/sites/images/banner.gif

They will be served by real Cocoon pipelines, and you can use 'ab'
from the Apache distribution to test the speed of them relative to
that of Cocoon's.

I've tried to use Cocoon's jar files without any changes to the actual
source code. So far I've been successful, because of the great
customization features provided by Cocoon.

I'll have more useful features in the weeks to come, and hopefully
more user-friendly than today.

Greetings,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com>