Posted to dev@dolphinscheduler.apache.org by CalvinKirs <ac...@163.com> on 2020/07/08 11:45:48 UTC

[DISCUSS] Build Commit Message RIP

The community's commit message currently has some problems

1. Many commit messages don't explicitly indicate what the code has modified, so we need to guess what it has done.

2. Some of the commit messages are associated with the issue on Github, while others are not, so it is difficult to trace the specific issue and pull request from a certain commit message.

3. The format of commit messages is not uniform.

We need some conventions to help the commit messages become clean and tidy, so as to help developers and release managers better track issues and clarify the optimization in the version iteration.

 As Peter Hutterer puts it:  "Any software project is a collaborative project. It has at least two developers, the original developer and the original developer a few weeks or months later when the train of thought has long left the station. This later self needs to reestablish the context of a particular piece of code each time a new bug occurs or a new feature needs to be implemented. "

So,I combined the specifications of RocketMQ and other communities , drafted the Chinese version of the CommitMessage of the DolphinScheduler community. For the link, see: https://github.com/apache/incubator-dolphinscheduler-website/pull/146

If you have good suggestions, please communicate with me, thank you

Best regards!
CalvinKirs

回复:[DISCUSS] Build Commit Message RIP

Posted by Yichao Yang <10...@qq.com>.
Hi,

I agree with you.

Best,
Yichao Yang

Posted by CalvinKirs <ac...@163.com>.
Well, I personally think that this is a good proposal, and it is best to be reflected in the commit message, but everyone's development habits are usually to submit documents after merging. Perhaps we can ask other partners?

我个人觉得这是个很好的提议,最好能够体现在commit message里面,不过大家的开发习惯一般都是合并之后才会去提交文档。或许,我们可以问问其他伙伴,听一听他们的意见?
Best regards!
CalvinKirs

On 07/8/2020 20:42,Yichao Yang<10...@qq.com> wrote:
Hi

Good job, and @samz406&nbsp;and @lilin put forward a suggestion earlier, I think it is very valuable.&nbsp;I quote here:

[1]&nbsp;https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r2175e83e6d82be8d96dd9b476c6a99b91f6087050b5b01c9764966dd%40%3Cdev.dolphinscheduler.apache.org%3E

In my opinion, I think we can add the Commit Message template and example in `docs` and `Github PR commit message PlaceHolder` mentioned before [2]

[2]&nbsp;https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r589b62b9cdb8ddcb875b6af8486101c99ff40524638b0d5e6b710ab3%40%3Cdev.dolphinscheduler.apache.org%3E

Best,

Yichao Yang

The community's commit message currently has some problems

1. Many commit messages don't explicitly indicate what the code has modified, so we need to guess what it has done.

2. Some of the commit messages are associated with the issue on Github, while others are not, so it is difficult to trace the specific issue and pull request from a certain commit message.

3. The format of commit messages is not uniform.

We need some conventions to help the commit messages become clean and tidy, so as to help developers and release managers better track issues and clarify the optimization in the version iteration.

&nbsp;As Peter Hutterer puts it:&nbsp; "Any software project is a collaborative project. It has at least two developers, the original developer and the original developer a few weeks or months later when the train of thought has long left the station. This later self needs to reestablish the context of a particular piece of code each time a new bug occurs or a new feature needs to be implemented. "