Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2002/09/15 03:51:39 UTC

JUGs, Was: Jakarta Site - Japan

Even down to the red and green usage of colouring.

Its biggest problem though is lack of maintainance, which could be to make
it look better. Of the nearly 1000 JUGs said to be there, a large number
are people ticking the 'JUG' option when adding and not the 'Looking for a
JUG' option. There's also no 3 years later removal of requests for a JUG.

The only JUGs which seem to linger and yet not be a mild success are the
ones that use yahoogroups, and many of these get a mail or two a month.

By the way, the case study for how to form a jug, which appears to be
about a JUG called: 'Research Triangle Park JUG', points to
'www.jughead.org', which is some kind of comic. An example of the
staleness of Sun's site :)

Hen

Re: JUGs, Was: Jakarta Site - Japan

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
By the way, the list is available at
http://www.generationjava.com/JUGS-active.html

I finished adding in India, Canada and the USA and will merge in the list
at the java faq at some point.

Then I'll start value adding. Highlighting yahoogroups which are dead,
putting countries/citys back in etc.

Now that all the chaff is removed, it's quite fun to surf the JUGs :)

Hen

Re: JUGs, Was: Jakarta Site - Japan

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On 14 Sep 2002, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> hehe..  Color blind guys everywhere are wondering what the difference is
> ;-)

Yeha. Though you try telling the difference in the dark with a LCD laptop.
Not as easy as you'd think :)

> > The only JUGs which seem to linger and yet not be a mild success are the
> > ones that use yahoogroups, and many of these get a mail or two a month.
> >

> We're not a yahoo groups, but we have over 40 people attend every
> meeting.  Some meetings have more.  This months meeting with Erik
> Hatcher will probably draw quite a crowd.

Yeah, I was referring to the JUGs that were dead. The yahoo ones seem to
maintain some minor survival, but the others appear to vanish.

kkkHen

Re: JUGs, Was: Jakarta Site - Japan

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2002-09-14 at 21:51, Henri Yandell wrote:
> Even down to the red and green usage of colouring.

hehe..  Color blind guys everywhere are wondering what the difference is
;-)

> Its biggest problem though is lack of maintainance, which could be to make
> it look better. Of the nearly 1000 JUGs said to be there, a large number
> are people ticking the 'JUG' option when adding and not the 'Looking for a
> JUG' option. There's also no 3 years later removal of requests for a JUG.

true!

> The only JUGs which seem to linger and yet not be a mild success are the
> ones that use yahoogroups, and many of these get a mail or two a month.

We're not a yahoo groups, but we have over 40 people attend every
meeting.  Some meetings have more.  This months meeting with Erik
Hatcher will probably draw quite a crowd.

> By the way, the case study for how to form a jug, which appears to be
> about a JUG called: 'Research Triangle Park JUG', points to
> 'www.jughead.org', which is some kind of comic. An example of the
> staleness of Sun's site :)

Yes.  That was the former url.  I don't know the details behind how it
came we had to give that up, but the current url is:
http://www.trijug.org.

-Andy