Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Stevo Slavić <ss...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/12 14:56:00 UTC

Next version

Hello team,

Should next version be 0.10.1 or 0.11.0?

Thinking maybe 0.11.0 is more suitable, if it's going to contain artifact
name changes like MAHOUT-1680 and MAHOUT-1681, and fundamental new
features, so we keep minor releases for backward compatible bug fix
releases only.

Btw, it would be good (whoever has privileges) to have versions in JIRA
project sorted out:
- mark 0.10.0 as released
- remove two empty 1.0-snapshot versions
- move 1.0 to the top and clear its release date
- move 0.10.1/0.11.0 under 1.0 and after 0.10.0
- maybe plan and set 0.10.1/0.11.0 expected release date (Suneel was
mentioning it would be nice to integrate with Apache Flink by October
timely for http://lanyrd.com/2015/flink-forward/ )

Kind regards,
Stevo Slavic.

Re: Next version

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 3:48 AM, Stevo Slavić <ss...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Btw, I volunteer to create a 0.10.x branch and any needed changes in build
> scripts to make branch releasable. In JIRA I guess these days anyone
> (including me) can create 0.10.1 version and define scope for it, assign
> issues.
>
> Yes u have admin privileges in jira now, but I would say wait until we
talk tomorrow and decide on the road forward.

Re: Next version

Posted by Stevo Slavić <ss...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next version

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Re: Next version

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next version

Posted by Stevo Slavić <ss...@gmail.com>.
Not sure if I will be able to attend.

IMO, in major.minor.patch semantic versioning scheme (which I believe we're
applying and want to adhere to), there is no frequency dimension, there's
just scope dimension. There is nothing in versioning scheme preventing one
to release even major version multiple times during a single day.

Scope of patch release is expected to include bugfixes, documentation and
similar. It is also expected for a patch release to be backward compatible
- one can without touching sources upgrade only version number of a
dependency and have a previously buggy behavior now working as expected.
If we define a new 0.10.1 release with such scope, I'm fine with it.

So far scope for next release included backward incompatible changes, like
artifact name changes, and major dependency changes (like spark 1.1.1 to
spark 1.3.x) and more. That's why I proposed release with such scope to
have minor version part incremented, from 0.10 to 0.11.

I'm not sure but I doubt there's anything in Apache way of doing things,
that's preventing us from having both 0.10.1 and 0.11.0 releases planned
and worked on in parallel with dedicated branches e.g. master for next
major.minor/non-bug-fix release, and branches for bug fix supported
versions like 0.10 or 0.10.x. One can create a 0.10.x branch from 0.10.0
release tag. Changes there have to be regularly merged to master.

When it comes to frequency for bug fix / patch releases I wouldn't mind if
we released whenever a new bug fix (implementation or documentation) is
resolved and reviewed.

Kind regards,
Stevo Slavic.

Re: Next version

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next version

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
I'm on a plane then but am okay going along with consensus.

Re: Next version

Posted by Andrew Palumbo <ap...@outlook.com>.
1 PM eastern is good for me.

Re: Next version