Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2007/12/19 12:33:00 UTC

[committers] Disk usage

I bring a (paraphrased) message from the ASF Board to our committers...

Please reduce the disk usage in personal home directories.  They are not
designed for storing large quantities of project data.  In particular,
we should not be storing multiple snapshot builds and test results,
which runs to millions of files.

I realize this is hard with the size of Harmony's code base and number
of tests that we are running, but the machine is a shared resource so we
have to be modest with the number of old builds we keep around.

Regards,
Tim

Re: [committers] Disk usage

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> Yesterday I externally referred to our snapshot testing page as a good
> example of measurable and accountable product testing. Is it possible
> to be selective when assigning quota for mloenko, smishura and varlax
> users for their snapshot status tracking?

I understand that the ASF are looking to make more disk space available,
so it may be a simple matter of hosting the files in a different
location, rather then in people's home dir.

Regards,
Tim

Re: [committers] Disk usage

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
BTW,
Yesterday I externally referred to our snapshot testing page as a good
example of measurable and accountable product testing. Is it possible
to be selective when assigning quota for mloenko, smishura and varlax
users for their snapshot status tracking?

Thanks.

--
With best regards,
Alexei,

Re: [committers] Disk usage

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Nadya Morozova wrote:
> I think my personal dir got cleaned up. Is that done automatically? It used
> to store Doxygen-generated API reference for DRLVM and subcomponents, and
> now it's gone.

I'd be surprised if it was automatically deleted from your home
directory <shrug>.

> What's the best way to handle this? Re-generate the docs (long-awaited
> update) and post to the same location? To some other location where it won't
> be deleted?

I'd be inclined to regenerate the docs and check them into SVN.  We can
regenerate them on a regular basis.

Regards,
Tim

Re: [committers] Disk usage

Posted by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

--
Cheers,
Nadya

Re: [committers] Disk usage

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: [committers] Disk usage

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
I even forget that I've stored few builds for our Eclipse colleagues
in my home directory :)

Here is a stats after small cleaning:
<apetrenko@minotaur:~>du -sk .
828     .