Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by harinath <ha...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/24 18:56:53 UTC

portlets -JSR 286

Hi,
I am looking at mechanism/samples on creating portlets with forms and form
data processing.

using the jetspeed help on the website, i am able to create jetspeed
archtype  maven project and see the static content on portlet on jetspeed
portal but not able to see how I can post data from portlet and process the
same back in the portlet java code.

it will be great if there are any pointers to get hands on on portlet form
processing,  also i have queries.

1. what should be the action for form in the portlet (say jsp has form with
few input fields, what should be the action value to be mentioned, so as
processAction(..) method gets invoked.

2. When we post from one portlet, how to make sure only that particular
portlet gets updated and remaining portlets remain same.

I have been looking for online help for the last  1 week or so. please do
help.

--
Regards...
Harinath

Re: portlets -JSR 286

Posted by Aysegul Aydin <ay...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

For the first question I also recommend Manning's book. It helped us a lot. For the second question, I recommend you read JetSpeed Desktop documentation.

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/guides/guide-desktop.html

In desktop mode, every portlet is rendered separately, so you don't have to wait for the full page to load. When you send a request to the server from a portlet, only that portlet in that page is processed.

On Jun 24, 2009, at 9:56 AM, harinath wrote:

> Hi,
> I am looking at mechanism/samples on creating portlets with forms and form
> data processing.
>
> using the jetspeed help on the website, i am able to create jetspeed
> archtype  maven project and see the static content on portlet on jetspeed
> portal but not able to see how I can post data from portlet and process the
> same back in the portlet java code.
>
> it will be great if there are any pointers to get hands on on portlet form
> processing,  also i have queries.
>
> 1. what should be the action for form in the portlet (say jsp has form with
> few input fields, what should be the action value to be mentioned, so as
> processAction(..) method gets invoked.
>
> 2. When we post from one portlet, how to make sure only that particular
> portlet gets updated and remaining portlets remain same.
>

> I have been looking for online help for the last  1 week or so. please do
> help.

good examples form processing in portlets in this book:

http://www.manning.com/hepper/

Here is 7 min video covering how to program actions in portlets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBsYVWqCjHg

and a book by the same author:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Cameron-McKenzies-Jsr168-Portlet-Develpment/Cameron-W-McKenzie/e/9781598729047

Re: portlets -JSR 286