Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Norbert Hartl <no...@hartl.name> on 2009/01/11 11:32:57 UTC

Getting only fields that match

Hi,

I'm new to solr. I toyed around a little with solr
while searching for a search server with lucene. I
saw a lot of things that can be done with solr but
I missed one feature that I need.

I like the search result to include only the fields
that matched the search. Is this possible? I only
saw the field spec where you can have a certain set
of fields or all.

regards,

Norbert

Re: Getting only fields that match

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Norbert,

Other than though "explain query" method I don't think we have any mechanism to figure out which field(s) exactly a query matched.

Otis

Posted by Norbert Hartl <no...@hartl.name>.
Hi,

Posted by Norbert Hartl <no...@hartl.name>.
On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 17:07 +0530, Shalin Shekhar Mangar wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Norbert Hartl <no...@hartl.name> wrote:
>

> > I like the search result to include only the fields
> > that matched the search. Is this possible? I only
> > saw the field spec where you can have a certain set
> > of fields or all.
>

> Are you looking for highlighting (snippets)?
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HighlightingParameters
>
> A Field can be indexed (searchable) or stored (retrievable) or both. When
> you make a query to Solr, you yourself specify which fields it needs to
> search on. If they are stored, you can ask to retrieve those fields only.
> Not sure if that answers your question.

Having another look on your proposal I can see you might
be right :) Seems to me to be most doable approach by now, too.

thanks,

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Norbert Hartl <no...@hartl.name> wrote:

> I like the search result to include only the fields
> that matched the search. Is this possible? I only
> saw the field spec where you can have a certain set
> of fields or all.

Are you looking for highlighting (snippets)?

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HighlightingParameters

A Field can be indexed (searchable) or stored (retrievable) or both. When
you make a query to Solr, you yourself specify which fields it needs to
search on. If they are stored, you can ask to retrieve those fields only.
Not sure if that answers your question.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.