Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Laura Morales <la...@mail.com> on 2017/04/27 10:36:38 UTC

Slow query execution

I've downloaded wordnet-rdf.princeton.edu RDF dataset, which is a quite large one (about 1.3GB).
This is an example entity from the dataset

> SELECT * WHERE { wn31:100001740-n ?p ?o }

1 rdf:type wno:Synset
2 <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#sameAs> <http://lemon-model.net/lexica/uby/wn/WN_Synset_0>
3 <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#sameAs> <http://www.w3.org/2006/03/wn/wn20/instances/synset-entity-noun-1>
4 rdfs:label "entity"@eng
5 wno:translation "kewujudan"@zsm
6 wno:translation "entità"@ita
7 wno:translation "entitas"@ind
8 wno:translation "entitet"@sqi
9 wno:translation "יֵשׁוּת"@heb
10 wno:translation "entidade"@por
11 wno:translation "وُجُود"@ara
12 wno:translation "entiteetti"@fin
13 wno:translation "sorkari"@eus
14 wno:translation "كَيْنُونَة"@ara
15 wno:translation "kewujudan"@ind
16 wno:translation "hakikat"@ind
17 wno:translation "ser"@por
18 wno:translation "entidad"@spa
19 wno:translation "kokonaisuus"@fin
20 wno:translation "izaki"@eus
21 wno:translation "entiti"@zsm
22 wno:translation "実体"@jpn
23 wno:translation "tablet"@ind
24 wno:translation "cosa"@ita
25 wno:translation "entidade"@glg
26 wno:translation "sesuatu"@zsm
27 wno:translation "entité"@fra
28 wno:translation "tablet"@zsm
29 wno:translation "sesuatu"@ind
30 wno:translation "เอกลักษณ์"@tha
31 wno:translation "entiti"@ind
32 wno:translation "ente"@por
33 wno:translation "entitat"@cat
34 wno:translation "hakikat"@zsm
35 wno:translation "entitate"@eus
36 wno:hyponym wn31:100001930-n
37 wno:hyponym wn31:104431553-n
38 wno:hyponym wn31:100002137-n
39 wno:synset_member wn31:entity-n
40 wno:gloss "that which is perceived or known or inferred to have its own distinct existence (living or nonliving)"@eng
41 wno:part_of_speech wno:noun
42 wno:lexical_domain wno:noun.tops

So I decided to try a different query, to "search entities by label instead of by subject". This is what I tried

-------------------------------------
PREFIX rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>
PREFIX wn31: <http://wordnet-rdf.princeton.edu/wn31/>
PREFIX wno: <http://wordnet-rdf.princeton.edu/ontology#>

SELECT *
WHERE
{
  ?synset  a wno:Synset ;
  	   rdfs:label ?label ;
  	   wno:gloss ?gloss .

  FILTER regex(?label, "entity", "i")
}
LIMIT 10
-------------------------------------

what happened:

- for a long time after loading the dataset (more than 1h), this last query timed out all the times I submitted it. So I thought it was a problem with indexes, and that I should read more about Jena indexes
- but now all of a sudden it seems to work, albeit the query seems to take a few seconds to complete (which still feels a bit too slow since the database is local on the same machine, and the dataset is not *that* huge)

Does anybody know what I've run into? Do indexes have anything to do with this, or maybe some jena/fuseki cache/bootstrap activity, or it's just some monkey business going on with my computer? This feels so strange because I don't think I have done anything relevant with my computer that could have influenced this query. I just loaded the dataset into Fuseki, then started querying...

Thank you.

Re: Slow query execution

Posted by ba...@gmail.com.
On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 12:36:38 +0200, Laura Morales <la...@mail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> - for a long time after loading the dataset (more than 1h), this last
> query timed out all the times I submitted it. So I thought it was a
> problem with indexes, and that I should read more about Jena indexes
> - but now all of a sudden it seems to work, albeit the query seems to
> take a few seconds to complete (which still feels a bit too slow since
> the database is local on the same machine, and the dataset is not *that*
> huge)
>

> Does anybody know what I've run into? Do indexes have anything to do
> with this, or maybe some jena/fuseki cache/bootstrap activity, or it's
> just some monkey business going on with my computer? This feels so
> strange because I don't think I have done anything relevant with my
> computer that could have influenced this query. I just loaded the
> dataset into Fuseki, then started querying...

I think everybody runs into that, my solving of this problem has been to
ignore the first query, but i am of course curious what Andy says to this
though, instinctivly, i always thought, forget it, not so important.
Because what follows is also not the best performance, as you noticed, but
of course much-much better than the 'first' query. (And i guess this
problem has been discussed here already)

baran

Re: Slow query execution

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.
You haven’t really given enough details for anyone to provide a specific analysis.

 How did you load the dataset?

It is possible that it took the first hour to load the data though that would be quite slow. How many triples are in the dataset? Do you have a spinning or flash disk? Flash disk will be much faster. This would also explain why the query timed out, if the database was locked for a write transaction no queries which are read transactions would be allowed to proceed during that time as the concurrency is Multiple Readers OR Single Writer (MRSW)

Did other queries work in the same timeframe? I suspect not.

Since you mention Fuseki I assume you use the default setup whereby you create a TDB database? i.e. you specify a --loc argument at the command line

 The performance problem here it Is most likely caused by the use of the regular expression. In order to answer the query the query engine first has to find all matching patterns and then for each possible match evaluate the regular expression against it. This requires looking up the full value of the variable being queried which is in a separate lookup table from the main indices since the main indices store only internal identifiers for efficiency. This is what is known as dictionary encoding and is standard across most RDF databases.

 Try removing the filter and simply counting the number of results, this will tell you how many times it has to attempt the regular expression.

For simpler searches you will be likely better served by using alternative functions e.g.

CONTAINS(?label, “entity”)

Or

SAMETERM(?label, “entity”)

Although those won’t give you case insensitivity. If you intend to do a lots of text search you would be better off using  the text indexing extensions.

Rob

    -------------------------------------

Re: Slow query execution

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Load to memory in Fuseki2 - 72s
Load to TDB in Fuseki2 - 115s

If an upload via the UI goes quiet, one thing to try is increasing the
heap size a little.

Fuseki is at the mercy of how file upload works in HTTP forcing an
addition copy.

export JVM_ARGS=-Xmx2000M

(direct POST of the data, a non-HTML upload, does not have this
inconvenient effect)

     Andy

Re: Slow query execution

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
8,574,807 triples.

Re: Slow query execution

Posted by Lorenz Buehmann <bu...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>.
I'm not sure if you used the right query. Your query returns all synsets
with the English label "entity". Is that what you want?

that is not the same as "all entities in Wordnet", for the case that you
are looking for real world entities that occur in Wordnet

for instance if you use as label "bank", you'll find several synsets
each of it having a different meaning in a different context.