Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Arturo GARCIA-VARGAS <ar...@ficuslabs.com> on 2019/10/19 23:42:45 UTC

What is *stable* couchdb-dreyfus-clouseau right now?

Hello List,

   Maybe someone can help me here.  I am upgrading
clouseau/scalang/overlock so it works with Scala-2.13 and JDK-8.  I've
got it working but I have some questions.  I cross-post from

https://github.com/cloudant-labs/clouseau/issues/22#issuecomment-544206078

Thanks!

***
OK, so where do we stand. I have updated dependencies to get
couchdb-master + clouseu + dreyfus working with scala 2.13 and newer
JDK. I have a few questions and comments though, it would be great to
get some information on the below:

Clouseau
* A big patch applied in May (00a1e51) nuked some code (A tiny patch I
did years ago). (BAD?)
* Clouseau has no version tags - How do I know what commit to use with
dreyfus? Are we always working on master?
* Is cloudant using the https://github.com/cloudant-labs/clouseau repo
for their own deployments? do I have the latest code?
* Clouseau refers to partitioned dbs, which makes me think it is
expecting a couchdb running from master. Can someone clarify what commit
is stable for the combo couchdb-dreyfus-clouseau?

=> Main question: What commit is the working, stable version of clouseau
that I should branch from to apply all scala-2.13 and Lucene upgrades?

Dreyfus
* Dreyfus master clearly doesn't apply to stable couchdb-2.3.1. What
commit of dreyfus corresponds to stable-couchdb-2.3.1?
* Dreyfus has seen many patches in the past year, but they are all
incompatible with couchdb-2.3.1. Are these expecting master to be used?
* Dreyfus has a branch 'dreyfus-new-and-old-clouseau'. Is clouseau from
github "old-clouseau"? This one left me a bit astonished at first... Is
there another clouseau?

=> Main question: What commit of dreyfus should we use?

CouchDB
=> Main question: What commit is the stable couchdb to work with all the
above?

I personally want to stick to a reliable couchdb-dreyfus-clouseau combo
as I myself run patched versions of CouchDB-2.3.1.  I would be happy to
move forward our patches to master but without tags and knowing what is
stable we are in the dark.  CouchDB-2.3.1 removed some functionality we
used (starting processes via the config), which was a bit annoying.  We
shrugged it off and moved on to couchdb-2.3.1 but I feel we are again at
square one branching from the "stable" couchdb-2.3.1.  Also, looking at
commits and future plans, CouchDB seems very keen on dropping features.
Committing to "stable" releases seems to leave you on a path that is
already deprecated (what happened from 2.2 to 2.3).  What should we follow?

Thanks!

Arturo

Re: What is *stable* couchdb-dreyfus-clouseau right now?

Posted by Peng Hui Jiang <ji...@cn.ibm.com>.
Hello Arturo,

I made a response in
https://github.com/cloudant-labs/clouseau/issues/22#issuecomment-544217239

Peng Hui

From:	Arturo GARCIA-VARGAS <ar...@ficuslabs.com>
To:	dev@couchdb.apache.org
Date:	2019/10/20 07:43 AM
Subject:	[EXTERNAL] What is *stable* couchdb-dreyfus-clouseau right now?

Hello List,

   Maybe someone can help me here.  I am upgrading
clouseau/scalang/overlock so it works with Scala-2.13 and JDK-8.  I've
got it working but I have some questions.  I cross-post from

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_cloudant-2Dlabs_clouseau_issues_22-23issuecomment-2D544206078&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=PKZ65oA9tV05sXjYYyZUJf_d-ASaaLXiLw-gQdWPDsQ&m=QR7kBW7jMna3fzoJOdwF0dOGt6guOLVj1q9m3B3jgy8&s=MGT0GAC4DKt7Ir9fehbXE1uTz5SC0RHxN23CmQf9DfQ&e=

Thanks!

***

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_cloudant-2Dlabs_clouseau&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=PKZ65oA9tV05sXjYYyZUJf_d-ASaaLXiLw-gQdWPDsQ&m=QR7kBW7jMna3fzoJOdwF0dOGt6guOLVj1q9m3B3jgy8&s=nM0bLwsX1Y-YzItlu5yTA1_lyppKZZIsAOWprf2D1P0&e=