Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Steve Conover <sc...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/19 23:57:44 UTC

solr blocking on commit

I'm using latest solr 1.4 with java 1.6 on linux.  I have a 3M
document index that's 10+GB.  We currently give solr 12GB of ram to
play in and our machine has 32GB total.

We're seeing a problem where solr blocks during commit - it won't
server /select requests - in some cases for more than 15-30 seconds.
We'd like to somehow configure things such that there's no
interruption in /select service.

I've tried tweaking many parts of solrconfig (based on searches of
this mailing list): playing with the lock, with autowarming (including
shutting it off), max searchers, etc.  I've tried asynchronous commits
(waitSearcher=false and waitFlush=false).  The problem won't go away.
I run a fair amount of /select load at solr and even when it doesn't
take 20 seconds to commit, I definitely see pauses in the log when
commits are in progress.

I have this sense that I'm just missing something obvious (?)

Regards,
Steve

Re: solr blocking on commit

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Could you re-post this brand-new? You've replied to a thread over 2 years
old so it's kind of confusing.

How often are you polling? Seeing your replication settings would be
helpful...

Best
Erick

Re: solr blocking on commit

Posted by Martin Koch <ma...@issuu.com>.
Are you using solr 4.0? We had some problems similar to this (not in a
master/slave setup, though), where the resolution was to disable the
transaction log, i.e. remove <updateLog> in the <updateHandler> section -
we don't need NRT get, so this isn't important to us.

Cheers,
/Martin Koch

Re: solr blocking on commit

Re: solr blocking on commit

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Wait, wait, wait.... What about near-real-time? See:

(Integrate near real time)

<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1606>I don't think this is
production-ready yet, or if you're
willing to run patched code, but it sure seems like
you want to know about this..... And if you need this
anyway, any help getting it production ready would
be greatly appreciated.....

Erick

Re: solr blocking on commit

Posted by Jerome L Quinn <jl...@us.ibm.com>.

Re: solr with tomcat in cluster mode

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Ah, ok. There may be a load-balancer program for Windows. Also, the
SolrJ client library includes a feature to load-balance its requests.
If you write your app using this library, you're set.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

RE: solr with tomcat in cluster mode

Posted by "ZAROGKIKAS,GIORGOS" <g....@multirama.gr>.
Windows  ????

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Mitchell <go...@gmail.com>.
Hey Otis,

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
This should work fine.

Posted by Matt Mitchell <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: solr blocking on commit

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Re: solr blocking on commit

Posted by Steve Conover <sc...@gmail.com>.

Re: solr blocking on commit

Posted by Jerome L Quinn <jl...@us.ibm.com>.

Re: solr blocking on commit

Posted by Jerome L Quinn <jl...@us.ibm.com>.
yseeley@gmail.com wrote on 01/20/2010 02:24:04 PM:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Jerome L Quinn <jl...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:
> > This is essentially the same problem I'm fighting with.  Once in a
while,
> > commit
> > causes everything to freeze, causing add commands to timeout.
>
> This could be a bit different.  Commits do currently block other
> update operations such as adds, but not searches.

Ah, this is good to know.  Is there any logging in solr 1.3 I could turn on
to verify that this is indeed what's happening for me?

Thanks,
Jerry

Re: solr blocking on commit

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Jerome L Quinn <jl...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> This is essentially the same problem I'm fighting with.  Once in a while,
> commit
> causes everything to freeze, causing add commands to timeout.

This could be a bit different.  Commits do currently block other
update operations such as adds, but not searches.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: solr blocking on commit

Posted by Jerome L Quinn <jl...@us.ibm.com>.
yseeley@gmail.com wrote on 01/19/2010 06:05:45 PM:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Steve Conover <sc...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I'm using latest solr 1.4 with java 1.6 on linux.  I have a 3M
> > document index that's 10+GB.  We currently give solr 12GB of ram to
> > play in and our machine has 32GB total.
> >
> > We're seeing a problem where solr blocks during commit - it won't
> > server /select requests - in some cases for more than 15-30 seconds.
> > We'd like to somehow configure things such that there's no
> > interruption in /select service.
>
> A commit shouldn't cause searches to block.
> Could this perhaps be a stop-the-word GC pause that coincides with the
commit?

This is essentially the same problem I'm fighting with.  Once in a while,
commit
causes everything to freeze, causing add commands to timeout.

My large index sees pauses on the order of 50 seconds once every day or
two.  I
have a small index of 700M on disk that sees 20 second pauses once in a
while.

I'm using the IBM 1.6 jvm on linux.

Jerry

Re: solr blocking on commit

Posted by Jay Hill <ja...@gmail.com>.
A couple of follow up questions:

- What type of garbage collector is in use?
- How often are you optimizing the index?
- In solrconfig.xml what is the setting for <mainIndex><ramBufferSizeMB>?
- Right before and after you see this pause, check the output of
http://<host>:<port>/solr/admin/system,
specifically the output of <jvm><memory> and send this to the list.

If possible definitely watch memory usage with something like JConsole, or
start the JVM with some of these params:
    –XX:+PrintGCDetails
    –XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps

-Jay

Re: solr blocking on commit