Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Jasper Kremer <ja...@nedap.com> on 2011/09/29 11:16:59 UTC

Running ZooKeeper on limited hardware?

Hello,

I was wondering if ZooKeeper could be used on limited hardware?
In our the hardware environment is 128 MB ram, 400 Mhz processor.
Is there any experiences with that?

Kind regards,

Jasper.

Re: Running ZooKeeper on limited hardware?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Jasper Kremer <ja...@nedap.com>wrote:

> 1) Embedded ZooKeeper
> Because ram is limited (128MB) I would like to run ZooKeeper embedded in
> our current Java App.
> This way starting up 2 VM could be avoided. But it seems that this is the
> recommended way?

Yes.  That would be fine.

> 2) File size of log files.
> As I understand the data is stored in the log file.
> The log file in
> /export/crawlspace/mahadev/zookeeper/server1/data/version-2/ is quit big.
> For example log.1 is about 65MB.
> In our case we will not store a lot of data and there is only limited
> flash-space (256MB).
> Is it possible to limit the size of the log.1 file?

What is your need for persistence?  If none, you may consider disabling
logging entirely with a code change.

You should also be able to adjust the snapshot interval which should help
moderate the log size.

RE: Running ZooKeeper on limited hardware?

Posted by Jasper Kremer <ja...@nedap.com>.
There is also another java app (much bigger) running on the same hardware that we developed.

I did some testing the hardware and it seems to run quit fine. The start-up time is 15 sec and it uses about 13 MB.
By the way, we are using JavaVM Standard Edition for Embedded.

I have 2 questions:
1) Embedded ZooKeeper
Because ram is limited (128MB) I would like to run ZooKeeper embedded in our current Java App.
This way starting up 2 VM could be avoided. But it seems that this is the recommended way?

2) File size of log files.
As I understand the data is stored in the log file.
The log file in /export/crawlspace/mahadev/zookeeper/server1/data/version-2/ is quit big. For example log.1 is about 65MB.
In our case we will not store a lot of data and there is only limited flash-space (256MB).
Is it possible to limit the size of the log.1 file?

Kind regards,
Jasper.
It should be close to possible at least.  It will be very cramped, though.

How much else has to run on that box?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.