Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Michael Mattox <mi...@verideon.com> on 2003/05/20 19:13:22 UTC

Profiling struts application

I'm starting performance testing for my project and I'm curious how people
are testing the performance of their Struts-based applications?  One
statistic I'd really like to know is how much time is spent in each layer of
my architecture: presentation, web (controller servlet and actions), service
layer (for me just singleton java objects but could be session beans), and
persistance (JDO).  I know lots of profiling tools exist for memory leaks
and CPU intensive methods, but I haven't seen anything geared more towards
java servlet based applications.  Does anything like this exist?

Michael Mattox

Re: Profiling struts application

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <vc...@baseBeans.com>.
One thing I do is create a load that bypasses Struts.
I create beans in a servlet and use them (new bean1(); bean1.populate();
bean1.setName("XXX"); bean1.save())
to test the slow part of a web app, data access.
I just load the above "test" servlet with MS WAS (RTE) stress test tool.

It a bit manual but works,
hth,

--
Vic Cekvenich,
Struts Instructor,

Advanced <a href ="baseBeans.com">Struts Training</a> and project recovery in North East.
Open Source <a href ="baseBeans.com">Content Management</a>  basicPortal sofware
Best practice<a href ="baseBeans.com">Struts Support</a> v.1.1 helper ScafflodingXPress

RE: Profiling struts application

Posted by Chris Phillips <ph...@post.queensu.ca>.
Hi Michael...

We've done quite a bit of stress testing  of web apps (some struts, some
non struts) and as of late use:

A good testing plan to identify areas of concern and Quality of Service
needs/requirements
(hardest part really)

Apache jmeter with a variety of test suites/click paths
jProfiler to record JVM activity (tried optimizeIT as well...jProfiler
is  better and cheaper)

We use oracle 9iAS as the J2EE container and for stress testing we
deploy to a standalone oc4j that is launched with the appropriate
wrapper to allow the jProfiler to connect.
This way, we can watch the  jvm in realtime and track performance of
just about anything and everything we care to look at...classes, data,
garbage collection etc..

This took about a day or less to really set up (environment, not click
paths or data gathering runs).

Typically a 'good' test case would need multiple iterations to collect
reliable data at various load factors.

There's a lot more to testing besides this, but it is a good start...

Chris...