Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/23 21:34:07 UTC

Jetty ALPN (was: Roadmap 2016/2017)

This is straying from the original topic

On 23 August 2016 at 21:58, Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding jetty-alpn:
>
> The ALPN implementation relies on modification of a few OpenJDK classes and
> on a few new classes that need to live in the sun.security.ssl package.
> These classes are released under the same GPLv2+exception license of
> OpenJDK. The ALPN class and its nested classes are released under same
> license as the classes of the Jetty project.

Which means it is not suitable for JMeter, because the sun.* classes
don't exist in all JVMs.

We cannot rely on a particular implementation of Java.

Re: Jetty ALPN (was: Roadmap 2016/2017)

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is straying from the original topic
>
> On 23 August 2016 at 21:58, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > Regarding jetty-alpn:
> >
> > The ALPN implementation relies on modification of a few OpenJDK classes
> and
> > on a few new classes that need to live in the sun.security.ssl package.
> > These classes are released under the same GPLv2+exception license of
> > OpenJDK. The ALPN class and its nested classes are released under same
> > license as the classes of the Jetty project.
>
> Which means it is not suitable for JMeter, because the sun.* classes
> don't exist in all JVMs.
>
> We cannot rely on a particular implementation of Java.

Anyway it's not the recommended approach by netty , it's the alternative.
The first option is compatible in terms of licenses.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.