Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by "dinesh.joshi@yahoo.com.INVALID" <di...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2019/02/11 18:24:27 UTC

cqlsh tests and Python 3

Hey all,
We've gotten the cqlsh tests running in the Cassandra repo (these are distinct from the cqlsh tests in dtests repo). They're in Python 2.7 and using the nosetests. We'd like to make them consistent with the rest of the tests which means moving them to Python 3 & Pytest framework. However this would involve migrating cqlsh to Python 3. Does anybody have any concerns if we move cqlsh to Python 3? Please note that Python 2 is EOL'd and will be unsupported in about 10 months.
So here are the options -
1. Leave cqlsh in Python 2.7 & nosetests. Just make sure they're running as part of the build process.2. Move cqlsh to Python 3 & pytests.3. Leave cqlsh in Python 2.7 but move to Pytests. This option doesn't really add much value though.
Thanks,
Dinesh

Re: cqlsh tests and Python 3

Posted by "dinesh.joshi@yahoo.com.INVALID" <di...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Patrick,
I can help with validating 14298. We recently merged in changes that got the nosetests for cqlshlib working on trunk. The test failures are mostly due to 4.0 changes. We can either fix them and then migrate to Python 3 or we can directly fix the test failures once we move to Python 3.
Dinesh

    On Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 1:17:08 PM PST, Patrick Bannister <pt...@gmail.com> wrote:

I did a lot of work to make cqlsh compatible with Python 3 (and also Python 2.7) under CASSANDRA-10190. CASSANDRA-10190 has been blocked by CASSANDRA-14298, which got about two thirds of the cqlsh dtests to work.
If somebody could commit to reviewing CASSANDRA-14298, I'd be willing to pick it back up and get it working with the current head of develop. That way we would be in a better place to address CASSANDRA-10190 and the Python 3 issue.

Patrick Bannister

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 2:46 PM dinesh.joshi@yahoo.com.INVALID <di...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

I saw that thread and the tickets. They haven't had any activity recently. Given that it is already Feb 2019 and Python 2.7 is getting close to EOL'd, I think it's worth moving forward with deprecating Python 2.7 support and adding 3.0 support prior to 4.0 release. I am not sure what the timeline is looking like for 4.0 right now but it would be silly if we release 4.0 so close to Python 2.7 EOL.
Dinesh

    On Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 7:00:45 AM PST, Stefan Podkowinski <sp...@apache.org> wrote:

 Previous discussion can be found here:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/cbc50f5ac085ac759b52eb7e87277a3b82e2773c6d507c4b525d5555@%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E