Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by unjc email <un...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/10 18:21:22 UTC

HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Hi all,

I have memory and cpu issues when running heavy load testing with
HTTP(S) sampler.  The purpose of my test is to hammer the server as
fast as Jmeter can, using a big list of hostnames and URIs, via a
proxy server.  The test plan I have setup is configured with
100-thread thread group that contains a HTTPS Request sampler (using
HTTPClient4) and Summary Results generator.

The machine I am using has 12GB memory and 16-core cpu.  I monitor the
top output throughout the test.  I notice the RES size of the jmeter
java process is growing really fast - it reaches 2GB heap size limit
in less 5 minutes.  The test could never go beyond 30-minute mark
without OutOfMemory exception.  I know there are plenty of free memory
for me to expand the heap size; but my concern is whether there is a
memory leak in the code.  I worry the process would suck up all
available memory anyway if I run a stress test for a day or longer.

I have skimmed through the code of HTTPHC4Impl and found that there is
cache "map" for HttpClient with regard to URL.  I suspect this cache
map could go pretty crazy in tests that deal with large number of (or
dynamic) URLs.  Just curiosity, I tried running a test with using a
custom sampler as like HTTPHC4Impl but without the cache map; it seems
help slowing down the pace of the heap size.  However, the heap size
(RES size in top output) never seem settle at one level over time.

Does anyone have any experience in running similar test as I do?  Does
it look like a potential "memory leak" to you?  Any comment or advice
will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jacky

Re: HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Another question, which version are you using ?

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi
im curious what did you open this dump in (I get invalid hprof version on
Mem Analyzer in eclipse)
Does this caching apply only to HTTPClient based samplers or even the other
HTTP Request?

regards
deepak

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 5:07 AM, Philippe Mouawad <

Re: HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Try using Java Impl, as it does not have this thread local Map,it could
work.

Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Posted by unjc email <un...@gmail.com>.
Hi Deepak,

Re: HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
Hey

Re: HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Posted by unjc email <un...@gmail.com>.
Hi Philippe,

Re: HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
I looked at your heap dump, it seems you are load testing lots of
differents WEBSITES (I mean HOSTs are all different).
This is clearly a very "weird" use case that we don't handle for now, and I
am not sure we will.

Regards
Philippe

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM, unjc email <un...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have uploaded the heap dump file online and it's available at
> http://dl.free.fr/qZBPvLRB8.
>

> Thanks,
> Jacky
>
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Philippe Mouawad
> <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Which map are you talking about in HTTPHC4Impl ?
> >
> > If it's this one:
> >
> >    - Map<HttpClientKey, HttpClient> map = HTTPCLIENTS.get();
> >
> > Then it only exists once per thread and per combination of :
> >
> >    -            url.getProtocol()+"://"+url.getAuthority();
> >                this.hasProxy = b;
> >                this.proxyHost = proxyHost;
> >                this.proxyPort = proxyPort;
> >                this.proxyUser = proxyUser;
> >                this.proxyPass = proxyPass;
> >
> > so unless you change these per url , it won't grow a lot.
> >
> > Check what Deepak is suggesting and if issue persists, then generate a
> Heap
> > Dump and put it somewhere where we can download it.
> >
> > Regards
> > Philippe
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> its more likely that you have some listener turned on (like view results
> >> tree) - Even if a URL is 2000 characters you can calculate how many URLs
> >> before you use up say 100MB of memory. Do you really have that many URLs
> >> even if they are dynamic?
> >> http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/best-practices.html#lean_mean
> >>
> >> regards
> >> deepak

> > --
> > Cordialement.
> > Philippe Mouawad.

Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Posted by unjc email <un...@gmail.com>.

Re: HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
> [...]

> > for me to expand the heap size; but my concern is whether there is a
> > memory leak in the code.  I worry the process would suck up all
> > available memory anyway if I run a stress test for a day or longer.
> >
> > I have skimmed through the code of HTTPHC4Impl and found that there is
> > cache "map" for HttpClient with regard to URL.  I suspect this cache
> > map could go pretty crazy in tests that deal with large number of (or
> > dynamic) URLs.  Just curiosity, I tried running a test with using a
> > custom sampler as like HTTPHC4Impl but without the cache map; it seems
> > help slowing down the pace of the heap size.  However, the heap size
> > (RES size in top output) never seem settle at one level over time.
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience in running similar test as I do?  Does
> > it look like a potential "memory leak" to you?  Any comment or advice

Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 10 October 2012 19:53, Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> its more likely that you have some listener turned on (like view results
> tree) - Even if a URL is 2000 characters you can calculate how many URLs
> before you use up say 100MB of memory. Do you really have that many URLs
> even if they are dynamic?
> http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/best-practices.html#lean_mean

Also, the cache key is

protocol://[user:pass@]host:[port]

plus proxy details (if used).

Unless you are targetting lots of different hosts, this is unlikely to
be the main problem.

Re: HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi
if the name you are using for the URL is different (i,.e result gets
recorded as its own entry) then Generate Summary Report will use memory
proportional to number of URLs.
Run a non -gui mode with all listeners disabled and see how it goes

regards
deepak

Re: HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Posted by unjc email <un...@gmail.com>.
This is a snapshot of the top output of the jmeter process.

31902 root      20   0 11.4g 2.1g  13m S 189.4 17.9  21:13.96 java
-server -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:+AggressiveOpts
-XX:NewSize=1024m -XX:MaxNewSize=1024m -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=2
-Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval

Re: HTTP Sampler Memory Leak

Posted by unjc email <un...@gmail.com>.
HI Deepak,