Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org> on 2005/06/09 22:01:16 UTC

Building bridges.

Now that we have SVN up and runnning for J2, maybe the time has come to finally
move Bridges code to its own repository and grant it a release cycle of its own.

I'm OK to take charge of the SVN move but there's one final missing piece yet:
the bridges website !

Ate,

do you have any ready to go overall home page for bridges ?

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/

Re: Building bridges.

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
Santiago Gala wrote:
> El vie, 10-06-2005 a las 10:05 +0200, Raphaël Luta escribió:
>
>>No problem, i can move the bridge code around in SVN to create a
>>standalone
>>repository.
>>Someone from infra@ will have to tie the commit messages to
>>bridges-dev@portals.
>

> I can do that (except for updating the live site, something that happens
> automagically now), and solve the mistery of the general@portals
> messages coming from jetspeed. There is a broken regexp in
> asf-mailer.conf, which is intended to get /portals/site commits to
> general, but currently just sends everything not being /portals/pluto
> there ;-)
>
> So, I need to correct this rule, add another one for bridges, and we'll
> be set.

I guess the commit messages issue is more urgent than bridges but it's
nice to know you can handle it directly.

Re: Building bridges.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>.
El vie, 10-06-2005 a las 10:05 +0200, Raphaël Luta escribió:

> No problem, i can move the bridge code around in SVN to create a
> standalone
> repository.
> Someone from infra@ will have to tie the commit messages to
> bridges-dev@portals.

I can do that (except for updating the live site, something that happens
automagically now), and solve the mistery of the general@portals
messages coming from jetspeed. There is a broken regexp in
asf-mailer.conf, which is intended to get /portals/site commits to
general, but currently just sends everything not being /portals/pluto
there ;-)

So, I need to correct this rule, add another one for bridges, and we'll
be set.

Regards
--
VP and Chair, Apache Portals (http://portals.apache.org)
Apache Software Foundation

Re: Building bridges.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Raphaël Luta wrote:
> Ate Douma wrote:
>
>> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>> <snip> I'm not 100% sure what you plan to do, but if you intend to
>> *move* the current
>> portals-bridges subprojects from the jetspeed-2 repo, you're gonna
>> break the
>> jetspeed-2 build configuration unless you intend to handle that too?
>>

> Yes, I just planned to move portals/jetspeed-2/trunk/portal-bridges/
> to portals/bridges/trunk/
>
> I thought the protal-bridges was a maven sub-project by itself and that
> J2 only has dependencies on the bridges artefact but I can see now that
> bridges doesn't have a top-level project.xml yet so you're right, the
> Jetspeed 2 build would break...
>
>> What I suggested was *only* create the portals-bridges repo itself (no
>> move yet)
>> so I and others can start working on the site documentation. And only
>> after
>> that's done and we are ready for the announcement move the source.
>>

> As far as I know, we just need to move because all projects are on a
> single SVN repository.
> Given the build issue, it's safer to keep portal-bridges where it is
> right now and create in this directory a project.xml and maven.xml that
> can work standalone as well a xdocs directory for hosting the bridges
> site XML sources.
>
> OK with this ?
+1
So we will be working within the J2 repo on this until we think its ready
to standalone: just pretend portals-bridges is a root folder.
I will see if I can refactor the J2 build with a separate goal for building
the bridges. Once we move them, we then only need to remove that goal from the
J2 /project.xml.

Do you have any thoughts on forrest usage: should/can we use it for the bridges
site already?

Re: Building bridges.

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.

Re: Building bridges.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Raphaël Luta wrote:
> Ate Douma wrote:
>

>>> do you have any ready to go overall home page for bridges ?
>>

>> I wish I already had :-)
>

> Thought so ;)
:-)

>> I'm a bit overloaded with other tasks at the moment but I can try to come
>> up with an initial version sometimes this weekend.
>> Maybe the repository for bridges could already be created (and access
>> granted).
>> Then I can start building up the project definition and initial xdocs
>> (assuming xdocs is still what we are going to use, even for forrest).
>>

> No problem, i can move the bridge code around in SVN to create a standalone
> repository.
> Someone from infra@ will have to tie the commit messages to
> bridges-dev@portals.
> Before doing a wide announce on bridges we need :
> - a bridges website
> - a fleshed out xdocs documentation for some of the bridges (like Perl
> or PHP
>   who have none so far AFAIK)
> - proabbly some independantly released artefacts. (although this could be
>   the first item discussed on bridges-dev@).
>
> I won't be available over the week-end to move stuff around so I'll try
> to do it
> tonight if noone objects else on tuesday.
I'm not 100% sure what you plan to do, but if you intend to *move* the current
portals-bridges subprojects from the jetspeed-2 repo, you're gonna break the
jetspeed-2 build configuration unless you intend to handle that too?

What I suggested was *only* create the portals-bridges repo itself (no move yet)
so I and others can start working on the site documentation. And only after
that's done and we are ready for the announcement move the source.

Without the wide announcement on bridges (when the site and repo is ready), new
users wanting to build from the source (checking out through svn) will end up in
trouble because the bridges are gone and they've got no hint where to find it...

But, maybe I'm overlooking something or just don't understand the plan.
If you don't think there will be problems like these, please go ahead: the sooner
the better ;-)

Ate

Re: Building bridges.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Raphaël Luta wrote:
> Ate Douma wrote:
>

>>> do you have any ready to go overall home page for bridges ?
>>

>> I wish I already had :-)
>

> Thought so ;)
>
>> I'm a bit overloaded with other tasks at the moment but I can try to come
>> up with an initial version sometimes this weekend.
>> Maybe the repository for bridges could already be created (and access
>> granted).
>> Then I can start building up the project definition and initial xdocs
>> (assuming xdocs is still what we are going to use, even for forrest).
>>

> No problem, i can move the bridge code around in SVN to create a standalone
> repository.
> Someone from infra@ will have to tie the commit messages to
> bridges-dev@portals.
> Before doing a wide announce on bridges we need :
> - a bridges website
> - a fleshed out xdocs documentation for some of the bridges (like Perl
> or PHP
>   who have none so far AFAIK)

Roger and I can try to throw something together there...

> - proabbly some independantly released artefacts. (although this could be
>   the first item discussed on bridges-dev@).

All of the bridges jars are available from the Apache site with the M3
release. They are version 0.3

> I won't be available over the week-end to move stuff around so I'll try
> to do it
> tonight if noone objects else on tuesday.

tonight is fine by me

Re: Building bridges.

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.

Re: Building bridges.