Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Devireddy, Nagendra Reddy (STSD)" <na...@hp.com> on 2006/05/17 07:22:47 UTC

[users@httpd] Help with Apache

Hi,

I am new to this and have few doubts about Apache.

When I open my home page, Its displaying the links to folders instead of
displaying the logo or apache home page.
How can I avoid that. This is a major security issue for my site.

Thanks and Regards,
Nagendra Reddy. D

Re: [users@httpd] Help with Apache

Posted by Bill Jones <te...@gmail.com>.
On 5/17/06, Devireddy, Nagendra Reddy (STSD) <na...@hp.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to this and have few doubts about Apache.
>
> When I open my home page, Its displaying the links to folders instead of
> displaying the logo or apache home page.
> How can I avoid that. This is a major security issue for my site.

Placing anything on the WWW is a security issue.  You can play
hide-n-seek games but overall how can you be sure all your data is
secure?

To answer your question create an html file and call it index.html and
place in all the directories you do not want people seeing your file
listing.  Next edit httpd.conf and mask all the files you dont want
people to see in the individual file listings using IndexIgnore.
Lastly, in the httpd.conf, turn off Indexes (see Options.)