Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Ritu Kedia <RK...@saba.com> on 2003/10/20 13:27:01 UTC

WebDAV support in CMS

Hi All,

Slide seems to be the only open source CMS which is WebDAV enabled (unless I
am missing something).

However WebDAV seems to be a promising standard, which will greatly increase
the interoperability between the various third party WebDAV clients and
WebDAV enabled CMS. Then, how come no other open source CMS is standardizing
on this protocol? Most of CMS have their proprietary clients.

I also saw the commercial Tamino WebDAV CMS white paper, which has a section
on the WebDAV support implemented by the various commonly used authoring
tools: Office 2000, Adobe 5.0, DreamWeaver, etc..., all major OS (Windows
2000, Linux, Mac OS X) and the embedded devices. After reading this
document, I was beyond a doubt that most of the CMS's must be WebDAV
enabled. But after having gone through the CMS matrix on OSCOM
http://www.oscom.org/matrix/index.html, I am unable to understand why no
other CMS is WebDAV enabled.

Surprisingly, Microsoft CMS 2000, does not mention the word WebDAV anywhere
in its documentation. If Windows XP/ 2000, IE 5.0 up and Office 2000 have
WebDAV support, why doesn't MS CMS provide WebDAV support?

Am I missing some important short comings with WebDAV? Apparently not,
because JSR 170 and JSR 147 are both out for public review. Any thoughts/
inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ritu

Re: WebDAV support in CMS

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
Ritu Kedia <RK...@saba.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> Slide seems to be the only open source CMS which is WebDAV enabled (unless I
> am missing something).

Zope (www.zope.org) does support webdav too. Recent versions of
Cocoon/Lenya can handle webdav too. I am using Cocoon on top of
Slide. I don't kown the other systems. but I would be very surprised,
if non of them support webdav.

> Surprisingly, Microsoft CMS 2000, does not mention the word WebDAV anywhere
> in its documentation. If Windows XP/ 2000, IE 5.0 up and Office 2000 have
> WebDAV support, why doesn't MS CMS provide WebDAV support?

Microsofts marketing department calls it web folders. Support
is build into the IE.

Regards,
   Martin

Re: WebDAV support in CMS

Posted by Stéphane Croisier <sc...@jahia.com>.
Jahia 4.0 (www.jahia.org) natively integrates Slide. Currently WebDAV is
only used to manage binary files but we plan to extend its use to any kind
of content objects in the future.

Regards
Stéphane

- -- --- -----=[ scroisier2 at jahia dot com ]=---- --- -- -