Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by David Gagnon <dg...@accovia.com> on 2004/12/17 21:46:42 UTC

FOP, JSP, TOMCAT, IE .. How to make it works!!! Please help!!

Hi All,

  I'm on known problem for a while.  I searched all around the web but
haven't found an answer that matches my requirement.

It's not directly a problem with FOP but rather a problem on own to make FOP
works on tomcat.

Il read all the stuff that explain how to make FOP works with IE in a
servlet an it's works.  But that's not enough for the need of my
application. So I want to know:

-Is there a way I can have the PDF displayed on the browser as it's
generated on the server.  Let say I start to generate a 10000 pages
document; I want the document to appear in the browser window as soon as
possible.  This way the user can start reading the document while the server
finishes it.   More, if the user closes the window while the server
generates the document.  Is there a way to stop the processing on the
server?

I want to have the smallest delay possible between the time the user click
the button on is browser an the time he gets the 1st page displayed in the
browser.

I want a way, if possible, to stop the processing of a report that have been
launched from a Window that have been closed.

I read stuff about using chunked transfer-coding.  Is that works?  Any idea
if I can found an example somewhere.

I need to support IE6 and Firefox.

Any help will be appreciated since I browsed all the web and I haven't found
something relevant.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!!

/David

RE : FOP, JSP, TOMCAT, IE .. How to make it works!!! Please help!!

Posted by David Gagnon <dg...@accovia.com>.

>You mean a sort of streaming? Well, PDF isn't a formate well suited
>for this (in contrast to HTML, sans tables without colspecs), because
>there is an object directory in the PDF and FOP writes it at the end
>of the stream, as well as embedded fonts and the likes. It should be
>possible to get the PDF renderer pop up immediately in a non-IEx
>browser, but I suspect it would only show a blank page until the
>whole content is generated and downloaded.

That's what I got when I tried yesterday .. On Firefox the plug-in starts
but nothing have been displayed until the end :-(

That's a really bad limitation!

Thanks for your help!!

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
David Gagnon wrote:
> -Is there a way I can have the PDF displayed on the browser as it’s
> generated on the server.

You mean a sort of streaming? Well, PDF isn't a formate well suited
for this (in contrast to HTML, sans tables without colspecs), because
there is an object directory in the PDF and FOP writes it at the end
of the stream, as well as embedded fonts and the likes. It should be
possible to get the PDF renderer pop up immediately in a non-IEx
browser, but I suspect it would only show a blank page until the
whole content is generated and downloaded. With IEx at least up to
the IEx 6/AcrobatReader 5 combo there is the problem that the PDF
plugin wont start unless there is a content-length HTTP header,
which can of course only be set after the whole PDF has been generated.

> Any help will be appreciated since I browsed all the web
 > and I haven’t found something relevant.

Asking in a PDF or Adobe-related formum might get you further
insights. It is mainly a PDF problem.

J.Pietschmann

RE: FOP, JSP, TOMCAT, IE .. How to make it works!!! Please help!!

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Hi,

> Is there a way I can have the PDF displayed on the browser
> as it's generated on the server.

I think this obstacle isn't presented by FOP/TOMCAT... Actually, if you look
at what most browsers usually do with PDFs --even those that aren't
generated on-the-fly--, it isn't likely to be possible. Download first, then
use a plugin to display it.

Maybe a way to work around this is to not generate one huge PDF, but a lot
of small ones, linked by fo:basic-links. That way, only the documents
pointed to by the links the user visits will be generated (and will have to
be downloaded before the user can start reading).

HTH!

Greetz,

Andreas