Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Savitha Akella <sa...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/25 18:53:03 UTC

SSL issue

Hi,

We have enabled SSL for the web services hosted on Tomcat. As part of the
configuration changes we have modified the server.xml to make changes to the
"connector" element.
We have given the "trustStorePass" value to point to a keystore which has
only the certificate for our web services. Ofcourse the clientAuth parameter
is set to true.
The problem we are facing is even though the client is prompted for the
certificate, the client is authenticated with any certificate instead of
authenticating with the intended one.
Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Savitha

Re: SSL issue

Posted by Marvin Addison <ma...@gmail.com>.
If you've got the container to request and accept a client cert, the
connector configuration is likely correct and it's an SSL trust
problem.  Please post the output of the following command:

keytool -list -keystore
D:/users/apache-tomcat-7.0.11/keystore/trust.keystore -storePass
changeit

Also, please post some evidence that the client is sending the cert
you think it is.  OpenSSL s_client is a good choice if you don't
already have a good tool for SSL troubleshooting.

Re: SSL issue

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: SSL issue

Posted by Crypto Sal <cr...@gmail.com>.

> Savitha,
>
> On 8/25/2011 7:01 PM, Savitha Akella wrote:
>> <Connector protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
>> port="443" maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true"
>> SSLEnabled="true"
> Okay.
>
>> keystoreFile="d:/users/apache-tomcat-7.0.11/keystore/key.keystore"
>> keyAlias="keyalias" keyPass="changeit"
> Okay.
>> clientAuth="true"
>> truststoreFile="D:/users/apache-tomcat-7.0.11/keystore/trust.keystore"
>>

> truststorePass="changeit"
>> SSLVerifyClient="require"
> Okay.
>
>> sslProtocol="TLS"
> Should probably be "SSLProtocol", but might not matter. Also, "TLS" is
> not a documented valid value for this attribute.
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/http.html

Kindly double-check your data. I see that its the default and doesn't
need to be defined but is probably defined for clarity.

>> SSLEngine="on"
> SSLEngine is not a recognized attribute.

It is for the Listener container. This would turn on/off APR. Seems like
a simple mistake.

Re: SSL issue

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Savitha,

On 8/25/2011 7:01 PM, Savitha Akella wrote:
> <Connector protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
> port="443" maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true"
> SSLEnabled="true"

Okay.

> keystoreFile="d:/users/apache-tomcat-7.0.11/keystore/key.keystore"
> keyAlias="keyalias" keyPass="changeit"

Okay.
> clientAuth="true"
> truststoreFile="D:/users/apache-tomcat-7.0.11/keystore/trust.keystore"

truststorePass="changeit"
> SSLVerifyClient="require"

Okay.

Re: SSL issue

Posted by Savitha Akella <sa...@gmail.com>.
here is the connector configuration:

  <Connector protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
clientAuth="true" port="443" SSLEnabled="true" maxThreads="150"
scheme="https" secure="true" keyAlias="keyalias"
keystoreFile="d:/users/apache-tomcat-7.0.11/keystore/key.keystore"
keyPass="changeit"
truststoreFile="D:/users/apache-tomcat-7.0.11/keystore/trust.keystore"
truststorePass="changeit" SSLVerifyClient="require" SSLEngine="on"
SSLVerifyDepth="4" sslProtocol="TLS" />

Re: SSL issue

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.