Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nick Torenvliet <ni...@fieldstonesolutions.com> on 2003/01/07 04:52:05 UTC

server.xml- linking to a context containing a jndi resource from another context

Hi, I have a sever.xml that contains two webapps, one with a jndi
resource to a mysql data base and another that I would like to link into
that resource with with.  I understand I might have to use a global link
into the later context from the former but I am unsure how to proceed,
does anyone have some example code I can take a look at?

Re: server.xml- linking to a context containing a jndi resource fromanother context

Posted by Rosdi bin Kasim <ro...@epantai.com.my>.
Why didnt you use the tomcat manager/admin??
The manager/admin has been pretty stable and reliable since 4.1.16.......
No need to edit server.xml directly..

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: server.xml- linking to a context containing a jndi resource from another context

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On 6 Jan 2003, Nick Torenvliet wrote:

> Date: 06 Jan 2003 22:52:05 -0500
> From: Nick Torenvliet <ni...@fieldstonesolutions.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: server.xml- linking to a context containing a jndi resource from
>     another context
>
> Hi, I have a sever.xml that contains two webapps, one with a jndi
> resource to a mysql data base and another that I would like to link into
> that resource with with.  I understand I might have to use a global link
> into the later context from the former but I am unsure how to proceed,
> does anyone have some example code I can take a look at?

First, you need to be using Tomcat 4.1 for this -- 4.0 does not support
shared JNDI resources.  You'll also need to reorganize things in
server.xml slightly for this to work.

Next, declare the data source itself (the <Resource> and <ResourceParams>
elements) in the <GlobalNamingResources> section of server.xml.  Then, use
a <ResourceLink> from *both* webapps.  Resource links only go from a
webapp to the global resources, not from one webapp to another.

  <GlobalNamingResources>
    <!-- The global name of this database is "MyDatabase" -->
    <Resource name="MyDatabase" type="javax.sql.DataSource" .../>
    <ResourceParams name="MyDatabase">
      ... <!-- Data source config parameters go here -->
    </ResourceParams>
  </GlobalNamingResources>

  <Context path="/foo" ...>
    <!-- This app uses "java:comp/env/jdbc/Customers" -->
    <!-- from within the webapp -->
    <ResourceLink name="jdbc/Customers" global="MyDatabase"/>
  </Context>

  <Context path="/bar" ...>
    <!-- This app uses "java:comp/env/jdbc/Employess" but it -->
    <!-- shares the same connection pool -->
    <ResourceLink name="jdbc/Employees" global="MyDatabase"/>
  </Context>

Craig