Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Veres Lajos <vl...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/28 17:12:27 UTC

typofixes

Hi,

Sorry to interrupt.
Sometimes I play with fixing typos in OS projects with my pet tool.
https://github.com/vlajos/misspell_fixer
I ran it against the svn source and found a few of them.
Generally I send a proper patch, but in this case there are too
many live function name/variable changes.
(Generaly most of the found issues are in comments/output messages.)
I wasn't able to clean it properly. :-(

Anyway on #svn-dev they suggested to send it to this list.

I hope at least a part of it will be useful.

Best regards,
--
Veres Lajos
vlajos@gmail.com

Re: typofixes

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 28.02.2014 17:12, Veres Lajos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to interrupt.
> Sometimes I play with fixing typos in OS projects with my pet tool.
> https://github.com/vlajos/misspell_fixer
> I ran it against the svn source and found a few of them.
> Generally I send a proper patch, but in this case there are too
> many live function name/variable changes.
> (Generaly most of the found issues are in comments/output messages.)
> I wasn't able to clean it properly. :-(
>
> Anyway on #svn-dev they suggested to send it to this list.
>
> I hope at least a part of it will be useful.

It would be useful if it didn't contain errors that replace valid
spelling to invalid ... for example:

- * avoid potential segfault when canonicalizing properties (r1296369)
+ * avoid potential segfault when canonizing properties (r1296369)

I'm afraid this project hasn't been given the power to canonise anything.

Another example:

-The original state before the operation can be characterised by
+The original state before the operation can be characterized by

Nope; the original is correct. Unless you want to start an English vs.
American spelling flame-war on this list.

There are surely more such examples. It's great work, but I'm against
applying the patch as-is; it will just introduce new errors. Worse yet,
your patch changes tokens in code in ways that are probably not correct.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej | Director of Subversion
WANdisco // Non-Stop Data

Re: typofixes

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On 2/28/14, 8:12 AM, Veres Lajos wrote:
> Sometimes I play with fixing typos in OS projects with my pet tool.
> https://github.com/vlajos/misspell_fixer
> I ran it against the svn source and found a few of them.
> Generally I send a proper patch, but in this case there are too
> many live function name/variable changes.
> (Generaly most of the found issues are in comments/output messages.)
> I wasn't able to clean it properly. :-(
>
> Anyway on #svn-dev they suggested to send it to this list.
>
> I hope at least a part of it will be useful.

Applied in r1573006 with the following things removed:

- s/canonicalizing/canonizing/ (original is correct)
- s/cachable/cacheable/ (can't change this since it's part of our API, leave it
consistent through our code).
- s/characterised/characterized/ (British English spelling is fine)
- changes to utf8proc, they should be made upstream:
http://www.public-software-group.org/utf8proc
- s/cheaply/cheapply/ (original is correct)