Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jonathan Rengifo <jm...@gmail.com> on 2004/09/06 21:32:41 UTC

Problems upgrading to Tomcat 5

Hi all...

I am preparing a new production web sever configured with Apache 2
serving static content and Tomcat 5.0.27 serving dynamic content via
TCP JK2 connector.

In Tomcat, I am trying to configure one database Resource element for
various Context, so I decide to configure one Resource element into
the GlobalNamingResources element, and then  link it via ResourceLink
element on the Context I need to have; this configuration don´t work,
it throws me an exception on tomcat start up:

java.lang.RuntimeException: com.MyCompany.db.ManagerException:
org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot load JDBC driver
class 'oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver'

This happens although the driver is locate on my lib application, and
I try to cut an pasted on $TOMCAT_HOME/shared/lib and still get the
same output result.

That configuration used to work on Tomcat 4, but don't know what
happened or change on new releases. I've read the "Server
Configuration Reference" documentation from
"http://manuals.thexdershome.com/tomcat-5.0/config/context.html" with
no success (There are examples using my server.xml configuration). So,
after all I just copy the Resource element on each Context and it
works, but believe this is not simple the best way to do this...

Here is an example of what I've done:

<GlobalNamingResources>

<Environment name="simpleValue" override="true"
type="java.lang.Integer" value="30"/>

<Resource name="jdbc/app" auth="Container" scope="Shareable"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
       <ResourceParams name="jdbc/app">
           <parameter>
               <name>factory</name>
           </parameter>
           <parameter>
               <name>url</name>
               <value>jdbc:oracle:thin:@myDatabaseServer:port:user</value>
           </parameter>
           <parameter>
               <name>password</name>
               <value>myPassword</value>
           </parameter>
           <parameter>
               <name>maxActive</name>
               <value>20</value>
           </parameter>
           <parameter>
               <name>maxWait</name>
               <value>-1</value>
           </parameter>
           <parameter>
               <name>driverClassName</name>
           </parameter>
           <parameter>
               <name>username</name>
               <value>myUser</value>
           </parameter>
           <parameter>
               <name>maxIdle</name>
               <value>10</value>
           </parameter>
       </ResourceParams>
</GlobalNamingResources>

<Host className="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost"
          appBase="webapps"
          autoDeploy="true"
          configClass="org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig"
          contextClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext"
          debug="0"
          deployXML="true"
          errorReportValveClass="org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve"
          liveDeploy="true"
mapperClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostMapper"
          name="mySubDomain.myDomain.com"
          unpackWARs="true">

          <Valve  className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
                      pattern="combined"
                      resolveHosts="false"
                      directory="/appPath"/>

         <Context
className="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext"
cachingAllowed="true"

charsetMapperClass="org.apache.catalina.util.CharsetMapper"
cookies="true"
                                       crossContext="false"
                                       debug="0"
                                       displayName="myApp"
                                       docBase="/appPath/root"

mapperClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextMapper"
                                       path=""
                                       privileged="false"
reloadable="false" swallowOutput="false"
                                       useNaming="true"

wrapperClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper"
                                       allowLinking="true">

                           <ResourceLink name="jdbc/app"
global="jdbc/app" type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
                       </Context>
           </Host>

I was thinking too on move to Tomcat 5.0.28 relesed few days ago, to
see if problem solves, but don´t know what are the advantages and
bugfixes it has regarding 5.0.27 release I am using, can you please
tell me some or where to read them?

Any help or comments you have would be very appreciated...

Regards

Jonathan

Re: Problems upgrading to Tomcat 5

Posted by Jonathan Rengifo <jm...@gmail.com>.
Hi all...

Can anyone tell me about a succeeding experience ResourceLinking
inside a Context element a Resource element contained in a
GlobalNamingResources element?

Please, I don't really know how to do it on Tomcat 5 and can´t find it
on the Internet...
(For more information about the problem see my last posted message