Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com> on 2004/08/04 02:30:05 UTC

proposal to move JCR RI to incubator

Hi folks,

As you know, the JSR-170 JCR reference implementation is currently
located in the Slide proposals subdirectory.  The original purpose
of that code was to provide a potential API for a Slide v++ back-end
and to make it easier for all of the expert group (including Apache)
to test out the RI and give more meaningful input back to the JSR.
It was also hoped to be the basis of future collaboration on the RI
and TCK.  Unfortunately, due to the vagaries of the Java Community
Process and being just a proposal within a larger Apache project,
actual collaboration has been limited.  I would like to change that.

The Apache board set up the incubator in order to handle incoming
code bases that were developed outside of the ASF.  Although the RI
has been under Slide, there was a gap in which all of the code was
pulled out and then later put back in.  Even though I know there
were good reasons for doing it, this effectively put its status back in
the category of "not built within an Apache project", and thus subject
to the requirement that all such code go through incubator first.

In addition, I think the lack of collaboration is troubling,
particularly given the high level of interest in the JSR and the
number of Apache-friendly companies that are in the expert group.
In short, it seems that some people are interested in working on
JCR and either not able to keep up with Slide development or unable
to do so due to conflicts of interest at work.  Likewise, it makes
far more sense for Slide to focus on building the parts that might
(or might not) make use of any JCR implementation, rather than on
writing the RI implementation itself.

Therefore, I am proposing that the jcrri code be moved out of
Slide and into the incubator as its own subproject, with explicit
encouragement of anyone who wants to work on JCR itself to join
that project as well.  In that fashion, we can move all of the RI
development out of Day internal lists and onto the public Apache
list, move all of the public JSR-170 discussion onto the Apache
development list, and encourage all of the expert group members
who can and are allowed to work on open source to get involved.
In other words, now that this JSR has passed public review and
out of the old JCP constraints, let's finish it like a real open
source project.  Naturally, if we tried to do all that on slide-dev,
then this project would get screwed by the unrelated traffic.

The first step is to write a proposal, which I have mostly done:

    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/JcrProposal

and the next step is to ask your opinions.  Please let me know
if anything about the proposal seems wrong or a bad idea.

Likewise, if you are already a Slide or other Apache project
committer, please let me know if you would like to be added
to the list of initial committers.  If you are new to Apache
and you want to be a committer, please send me information on
why you should be on the initial list (e.g., you are working
on a JCR implementation, already participating on the expert group,
are well-known and trusted by the Apache community already, etc.).
We are hoping for a diverse group, with development guidelines
and committers working like the original Apache Group.

I'll send an invite to the JSR-170 expert group and other parts
of Apache after people here have a chance to comment/volunteer.

Cheers,

Roy T. Fielding, co-founder, Apache httpd
                  (fielding@gbiv.com)  <http://roy.gbiv.com/>

                  Chief Scientist, Day Software
                  (roy.fielding@day.com) <http://www.day.com/>

Re: proposal to move JCR RI to incubator

Posted by Daniel Florey <df...@apache.org>.
Hi Roy,
I would appreciate to see the JSR-170 RI as a separated project. It
would gain much more attention and the more developers join the project,
the more pitfalls can be identified.
As I stated in another thread I see the Slide project as a bundle of
WebDAV related java based technologies, so it might be a good choice to
add the jcrri as a backend for the Slide webdav-layer.
Personally I like the idea to couple jcrri with WebDAV as the
webdav-specs are very mature and some smart people are working on them
for many years. They should IMO be the levelling rule for the jcrri spec
regarding functionality so that a full featured webdav-server can be
build on top of jcrri.
Daniel

Posted by Mats Norén <ma...@alma.nu>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

>As a consequence, then, my first proposal would be rethink the name: jcr
>or jcrri aren't "product" names, and they smell bad of "just" RI (a quick
>"grep '.*j.*c.*r.*' /usr/share/dict/words" didn't blow my mind, the best
>alternative being "rejoicer".

How about Jackaroo?
Although, if my memory serves me right, the name has been used by an SVG
implementation that is dormant (if alive at all).

/Mats

Re: proposal to move JCR RI to incubator

Posted by Daniel Florey <df...@apache.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino schrieb:

>>Therefore, I am proposing that the jcrri code be moved out of
>>Slide and into the incubator as its own subproject, with explicit
>>encouragement of anyone who wants to work on JCR itself to join
>>that project as well.
>>

>I hear/share all your concerns and in general I welcome your proposal, but
>OTOH I do have some as well.
>
>1. slide dependancy: I understand that the jcrri code has still quite a
>bit to do with slide, which is used as a backend (please correct me if I'm
>wrong). How would this affect the development process for all the stuff
>which doesn't clearly belong to slide or jcrri but affects both?

As far as I know jcrri has no dependencies to slide at all. It's not
using Slide as a backend.

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@apache.org>.
hi gianugo

> 1. slide dependancy: I understand that the jcrri code has still quite a
> bit to do with slide, which is used as a backend (please correct me if I'm
> wrong). How would this affect the development process for all the stuff
> which doesn't clearly belong to slide or jcrri but affects both?

jcrri has no dependency on the slide code base. i started development from
scratch. the ri currently uses an abstract file system to persist the
repository state. the concrete file systems to be used can be configured.
one implementation of the file system is built on top of the webdavclient
lib.
but this is legacy code from an older ri implementation and i will probably
remove that.

cheers
stefan

Re: proposal to move JCR RI to incubator

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

--
Gianugo Rabellino