Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Robert E. Shelton" <ro...@extrasight.com> on 2003/06/13 07:37:58 UTC

Startup error: Unable to locate server socket factory named ssl

I enabled SSL in the remotemanager block and now receive a stream of
errors related to ssl. The relevant bit is copied here inclusive of the
startup messages:

Using PHOENIX_HOME:   /mail/james
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: /mail/james/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_03/
Running Phoenix:

Phoenix 4.0.1

James 2.1.3
org.apache.excalibur.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleException:
Component named "remotemanager" failed to pass through the
Initialization stage. (Reason:
org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException: Unable to
locate server socket factory named ssl).
            at org.apache...

O/S is Linux RH9. Phoenix and James start / run OK when the useTLS block
is "false". The docs for the Sun 1.4.1 SDK indicated that the standard
distro contained limited encryption. I have not installed the stronger
encryption code. These error messages are repeated in the Phoenix log. I
can supply the entire error message if needed, but the above seemed to
be the relevant issue.

I didn't find any discussions of this subject in the list archive, but I
presume that it is caused by an installation or configuration error on
my part. Can anyone offer guidance as to what I may have done wrong?

Thanks,

Robert Shelton