Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hoa Doan <ge...@yahoo.com> on 2007/04/05 22:39:53 UTC

Tomcat 6 User Connected

How do you find out how many user are connected to the server?  Do you get a thread count? if so how do you do that?

---------------------------------

Re: Tomcat 6 User Connected

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
Tomcat Manager shows the number of Sessions per site, I think it
includes both the number of browser and bots connected to the site.

You might want to consider a Javascript based solution to track only browsers.

-Rashmi

Re: Tomcat 6 User Connected

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
By definition HTTP is connectionless, so there isnt really a true user
count.
A user reading, is busy but not in the server.
If you want to monitor all users you need to use cookies.

If you want to monitor concurrent users, then you could have a little thread
safe routine at the start and end of your processeing routine that
increments and decrements.
Need to make sure the counter is thread safe.

or you could use HttpSessionListener (your Thread count as you call it)
and set up a counter

These techniques are good for internal monitoring... when servlet needs to
know how busy it is.

For server wide stuff I think you would have to build a filter that watches
every request... could watch sessions, server contexts etc.
If you google for Tomcat Monitoring you will find many tools built on this
principle and do it yourself code...

Have fun....

Re: Tomcat 6 User Connected

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Fairly certain the datasource and connection information you're looking for
is implemented in Lambda
http://www.lambdaprobe.org/d/index.htm

M--