Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2009/07/02 15:36:58 UTC

[classlib][build] properties in modules/*/make/hyproperties.xml

Does anyone actually like these properties?  I've been hacking build.xml files
and they are beginning to drive me crazy.

modules/accessibility/build.xml contains the following for creating the src
jar:

  <jar destfile="${hy.jdk}/jre/lib/boot/${hy.accessibility.packaging.jarname}-src.jar">
    <fileset dir="${hy.accessibility.src.main.java}" />

which IMNSHO would be easier to read/maintain if it was:

  <jar destfile="${hy.jdk}/jre/lib/boot/accessibility-src.jar">
    <fileset dir="src/main/java" />

I also notice that they are used rather erratically.  For example, the
equivalent luni-src.jar creation ant code only uses one of them.

I'd like to get rid of them or, if appropriate, use more straightforward
property names such as ${jarname} since the hy.accessibility.packaging
parts are all rather obvious from the context in which they are used -
i.e. in a harmony module called accessibility building a jar file.

Sorry for the rant but I've got quite a bit build.xml cleanup to do
and assuming others agree (or don't care) I'd like to make them more
readable at the same time.

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: [classlib][build] properties in modules/*/make/hyproperties.xml

Posted by Sean Qiu <se...@gmail.com>.
It would cool for me.

To be honest, it took me much time to find out where
${hy.accessibility.packaging.jarname} is defined.
I can't grep any property with this name, because it is a xml file.
Furthermore it is rarely used.

I stand by you.

Best Regards
Sean, Xiao Xia Qiu

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.
It always seemed like a bit of premature abstraction to me. I'm all
for simplifying the build scripts, especially if that means fewer
files to deal with.

Go for it.

-Nathan

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
Yes, would be nice to get rid of them. They made me shrug every time, too :)

Regards,
Alexey