Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ma...@spe.sony.com on 2004/12/01 20:01:04 UTC

Re: Printing PDF on the client default printer.

This is how I did it..

1) I used a invisible signed applet within the jsp page which renders the
screen.
2) The user selects the documents to be printed and passes  this info to
the applet.
3) The applet take this info and calls a servlet which creates the
corresponding XMLs.
4) The XSLTHandler within the applet then renders the pdf to the default
printer on the client side. The XSLT input handler
takes in the XSD and the created XML as its parameter during
instanciation..

Sorry to be short as i am busy here but can get in detail if reqd..

Thanks
Manoj

                      "Charles Ohana"
                      <cohana@investaco        To:       <fo...@xml.apache.org>
                      rp.com>                  cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: Printing PDF on the client default printer.
                      11/30/2004 12:19
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      fop-dev

wow!!! sounds great... Where can we get that ???  Thanx.
 From: Manoj_Nair@spe.sony.com
 Date: 10/21/2004 10:13AM

 ******************************
 I had posted this in the fop-user group and the responses indicated that
 there is no way this can be implemented currently. Just wanted an opinion
 from the fop-dev crowd.
 Thanks
 ******************************

 My requirement is to render an XML as  a PDF and then print the PDF on the
 clients default printer. I dont want the PDF to prompt user to open the
 acrobat reader.

 I already have an applet on the client side which uses PrinterJob class to
 popup the printer selection box on client side.

 Now how do I redirect the content from server to this printer?

 Should I use Driver.RENDER_PRINT / Driver.RENDER_PCL set in the fop driver
 renderer ? and what content type should the response object return?

 Thanks
 Manoj

 PS: I have successfully use the FopPrinter example ( FopPrintServlet ) to
 print pdfs on the app servers default printer but what I need is to be
 able
 to print on the clients default printer and not on servers printer.