Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Vladislav Kamensky <Vl...@atbusiness.com> on 2002/09/12 10:58:44 UTC

tiles question

Hi.

I am trying to use tiles in Struts 1.1.b and i found in the examples that tiles-defs.xml is referenced twice  in application

1. web.xml
<!--init-param>
            <param-name>definitions-config</param-name>
            <param-value>/WEB-INF/tiles-defs.xml</param-value>
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2. struts-config.xml
 <plug-in className="org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesPlugin">
        <set-property property="definitions-config"  value="/WEB-INF/tiles-defs.xml
                                                                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seems that reference in the web.xml is superfluous. Am i right ?

And second question:
In . struts-config.xml there is following string:
 <!-- Not used by tiles or this website, but needed due to a bug in actual Struts version -->
    <message-resources parameter="org.apache.struts.webapp.tiles.dev1-1.ApplicationResources" null="false"/>

What does it mean ?

--
Vlad Kamensky,
            @Business  SPb.

Re: tiles question

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@apache.org>.

Vladislav Kamensky wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I am trying to use tiles in Struts 1.1.b and i found in the examples that tiles-defs.xml is referenced twice  in application
>
>1. web.xml
><!--init-param>
>            <param-name>definitions-config</param-name>
>            <param-value>/WEB-INF/tiles-defs.xml</param-value>
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

>2. struts-config.xml
> <plug-in className="org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesPlugin">
>        <set-property property="definitions-config"  value="/WEB-INF/tiles-defs.xml
>                                                                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Seems that reference in the web.xml is superfluous. Am i right ?

  The plugin loads the config from web.xml, and override them with the
data from struts-config.xml. This allows to have a centralized point for
default values of  tiles config data.

>And second question:
>In . struts-config.xml there is following string:
> <!-- Not used by tiles or this website, but needed due to a bug in actual Struts version -->
>    <message-resources parameter="org.apache.struts.webapp.tiles.dev1-1.ApplicationResources" null="false"/>
>
>What does it mean ?

  Try to comment the tag, and check if your application complains. If
not, you can remove the tag. If there is an error, uncomment the tag.
This was a bug in some Struts release where an error was thrown when no
ApplicationResources was specified, even if you don't use this resources.

  Cedric