Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Don Grey <do...@hotmail.com> on 2006/03/01 20:12:15 UTC

Slow performance problem with svn status --show-updates on large repository.

Ive been searching the Subversion lists and havent found anyone with a fix
for the problem I am having.

We have a VERY LARGE repository on a Feodra Core 4 Linux Server. Its running
on a DLT 360 with 4GB memory, an external RAID 10 storage array with 10K RPM
SCSI drives. It has 4 bonded gigabit connections as well as 1TB of disk
space.

What is happening is when we do a svn status --show-updates --verbose on a
file the response is very very slow.

The folder the files are in has over 3500 files and the repository as a
whole is over 30GB.

I updated the client and server to Subversion 1.3.0 from 1.2.3 last night
but that doesnt seem to have any noticable effect on performance.

Here are some performance numbers:

svn status --show-updates --verbose "c:\projects\test\XML\test.xml"
68 68 dgrey c:\projects\test\XML\test.xml
Status against revision: 68
SVN op time: 8.7513 sec

svn status --show-updates --verbose "c:\projects\test\XML\test.xml"
"c:\projects\test\XML\test2.xml"
68 68 dgrey c:\projects\test\XML\test.xml
Status against revision: 68
68 68 dgrey c:\projects\test\XML\test2.xml
Status against revision: 68
SVN op time: 17.7834 sec

Any help/pointers on improving performance would be greatly appreciated.

Don

Re: Slow performance problem with svn status --show-updates on large repository.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 3/1/06, Don Grey <do...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Any help/pointers on improving performance would be greatly appreciated.

Do you see the slowness on all files, or only on files in directories
that contain many files?  The reason I ask is that Subversion doesn't
handle very large directories (i.e. a single directory with thousands
of files in it), and that could very well cause some performance
issues.

-garrett