Posted to dev@shale.apache.org by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/01 21:56:14 UTC

Code freeze 1.0.x branch

The SHALE_1_0_X branch [1] has been created. Over the next day, it
will be used to prepare the proposed v1.0.4 artifacts and svn tag.

My preference would be to have no commits to the branch when releases
are being prepared and voted on (relevant commits to trunk that need
to be backported can wait a day or two, unless its a showstopper for
the release). I will ping this thread when this is done for v1.0.4,
and the branch is open for general commits.

-Rahul

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shale/framework/branches/SHALE_1_0_X/

Re: Code freeze 1.0.x branch

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 1/1/07, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 1/1/07, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>

> > More generally, I propose we have the following procedure for future
> > releases:
> >
> > (1) At the appropriate time, the RM declares a code freeze on the
> > relevant branch
> > (2) Development continues in all other branches, and developers keep
> > notes of any changes that need to be ported to the "frozen" branch
> > (3) When freeze is over, developers commit pending changes
> >
> > Showstoppers that require a fix to the frozen branch restart the process
> > at (1).
>

> Sounds like a good general policy, although I suspect there generally will
> *not* be pending changes that we did not already discuss and decide on --
> it will probably amount to a few patches that were deemed not critical to
> getting a maintenance release out the door.  But time will tell :-).

<snap/>

Agreed :-)

> In the mean time, I'll go ahead and update the trunk version numbers to
> 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT, per our previous discussions.  I've also added a JIRA
> version for this, so we can start tagging issues for new development as they
> get dealt with there.

<snip/>

Sounds good, thanks.

-Rahul