Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> on 2022/01/16 19:08:56 UTC

[VOTE] Stop releasing Solr binary ZIP artifact

Hi,

I know that ZIP vs TGZ has been discussed before, but I'd like to propose that we ditch the Solr ZIP artifacts for the 9.0 release.
Below is a plot of downloads <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vgiwvs7mVv-ARNWoO4b9KcJjrGuK1cn-Mzeq0crJk_M/edit?usp=sharing> from DLCDN last 3 months, where we see that the zip artifact now constitutes only 9% of the downloads.

As the tar utility ships with Windows since several years, and users are well aware of the format, I see no reason to keep publishing the ZIP.
We can simplify the release, speed up the smoketester and save the environment, all at the same time :-)

Here is my +1

[VOTE][RESULT] Stop releasing Solr binary ZIP artifact

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
This vote has run for >72h, and the vote results are:

+1:  7
+0:  1
-1:   0

The vote has PASSED.

I'll follow up in JIRA.

Jan

Re: [VOTE] Stop releasing Solr binary ZIP artifact

Posted by Jason Gerlowski <ge...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me as well - sorry this just escaped my notice initially.

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Timothy Potter <th...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me as well.

Posted by Noble Paul <no...@gmail.com>.
+1

I think every platform can support .tgz. This is one less artifact to
upload during releases

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 11:38 AM Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> wrote:

> I don't want to do this without a bit more support than three +1 and one
> +0.
> Asking user's list would likely trigger a response from some of those 9%
> using ZIP today who don't want to change scripts.
> But I'm more looking for technical arguments that are important but have
> slipped our minds.
> We can of course add some extra docs to README and Ref-Guide about how to
> untar on Windows.
>
> Jan
>
> 17. jan. 2022 kl. 12:07 skrev Alessandro Benedetti <a....@sease.io>:
>
> +1, I think the benefits in terms of preserving resources (and also
> environment-wise) outweigh the cost of downloading a specialized tool on
> windows for the users that need that because on an old windows.
>
> Cheers
> --------------------------
> Alessandro Benedetti
> Apache Lucene/Solr PMC member and Committer
> Director, R&D Software Engineer, Search Consultant
>
> www.sease.io
>

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 at 22:54, Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> wrote:
>
>> On 1/16/2022 2:58 PM, Mike Drob wrote:
>> > +0
>> >
>> > I have no issue with this, but would maybe like to see a discussion on
>> > the user@ list first and to hear the thoughts of our Windows users
>> (Uwe?
>> > Steve? Shawn?)
>>
>> +1
>>
>> To say that I'm a Windows user would not quite be accurate.  Every place
>> I have actually deployed Solr has been on Linux.  CentOS mostly, and
>> most recently on Ubuntu.  I prefer the latter.
>>
>> My personal workstations have always been Windows.  It's a path of least
>> resistance -- I'm very familiar with it, and most of the games I like to
>> play are only available for Windows.  I have recently been using Ubuntu
>> Desktop on my primary work machine.  And I have to say that I really
>> like it.  It was easier to transition than I had imagined. I absolutely
>> love having linux commandline tools available on a workstation.
>>
>> With no zip, it will be a slight inconvenience for some Windows users,
>> but they do have tools available that can extract a tgz file.  I wasn't
>> aware that tar had been added to Windows ... that's cool.  I just
>> extracted the tgz on my Windows 10 desktop using it.  And for users of
>> Windows versions that don't include tar, they can download a tool like
>> 7zip.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shawn

Noble Paul

Re: [VOTE] Stop releasing Solr binary ZIP artifact

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by Alessandro Benedetti <a....@sease.io>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>.