Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by "Baskar, Hari G (GEAE, Foreign National, EACOE)" <Ha...@geind.ge.com> on 2004/03/02 09:09:53 UTC

Migrating from JAXP 1.0.1 to xerces 2.5.0

Hi ,

   I am new to using xerces-java ( 2.5.0).  Here is the description about the problem

   My application is based on client server architecture , with communication betweem them in XML format. The application was developed in 2000. At that time, the industry standard parser Jaxp 1.0.1 was used( Otherwise called as ProjectX from sun ). Now that, we wanted to use xerces , in place of old parser. But, I am facing problems in migrating the application from Jaxp 1.0.1 to xerces parser, since I am not finding equivalent classes in xerces for some of the classes. ( available in Jaxp 1.0.1 ).

For example, there is a class called "ElementNode" in Jaxp 1.0.1 , for which I am not finding the equivalent class in xerces. Ironically, ElementNode is a part of internal API of Jaxp 1.0.1. Some of the classes developed in my application uses "ElementNode" class as the super class.

   To summarize, I am in need of some guidelines for migrating my application from using Jaxp 1.0. 1 to xerces 2.5.0

Thanks,
Hari

Re: Migrating from JAXP 1.0.1 to xerces 2.5.0

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@apache.org>.
Hi Hari,

Sun Project X is better known as the codebase for the Crimson [1] parser.
There is a org.apache.crimson.tree.ElementNode in Crimson. It is part of
the implementation. JAXP provides a standard API for XML parsing and
transformations. Xerces-J 2.5.0 implements JAXP 1.2.

To make your code portable you want to be coding to the API instead of a
specific parser implementation. I assume ElementNode implements
org.w3c.dom. Have a look at the DOM specification. If you were only using
methods from these interfaces, the migration should be fairly simple.

[1] http://xml.apache.org/crimson/index.html