Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/12 09:53:07 UTC

Dropping 'stream' profile

Hi,
Currently in order to build the full code you have to add -Dstream
property, this in turn will activate the 'stream' profile.
Additionally to run tests in 'stream' submodule you have to also add
-DstreamTests.

This is very annoying, and now that we are going to release the 'stream'
storage module as first class citizen it does not make much sense.

This additional profile makes it more complex project wide operations like
the release procedure.
For instance I broke master branch yesterday because I did not advance the
version in poms in the stream submodule.

It is giving a lot of problems on code coverage stuff as well, because we
have a very complex configuration of surefire.

My proposal is to drop those profiles and let the stream module to be built
together with the other parts.

For the ones like me that work only on bookkeeper-server this change won't
affect every day work.

I would prefer that Sijie do this change as he introduced those profiles
and knowns very well all the tricks.

Regards
Enrico
--

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Dropping 'stream' profile

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Confirming my opinion:
+1 for dropping it in 4.9
+0 for dropping it in 4.8 branch
No change for 4.7 branch

Enrico

--

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Dropping 'stream' profile

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Ivan drafted an issue which seems a good plan to me.
https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/issues/1822

Meanwhile we are releasing 4.8.1, the fix for this situation will be most
probably on 4.9.

Please refer to the issue for the details and for comments

Thanks

Enrico

--

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Dropping 'stream' profile

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dropping 'stream' profile

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.

Re: Dropping 'stream' profile

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 10:42 AM Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org> wrote:

> > There is no decision made. However I am -1 to drop stream profile, as I
> > have explained in may different threads that I have been mentioned.
>
> Where were these threads? I did a search in github and the list, but
> couldn't see anything. i didn't even try slack, search there is awful.

e.g. 4.8.0 rc0 vote email thread.

> > Here is the summary I don’t like dropping stream profile.
> >
> > I put table service and distributedlog under stream, because the whole
> > stuff is built as an extension to bookkeeper core (ledger service). So
> this
> > extension is optionally. With that being said, the bookkeeper
> distribution
> > should can be built with and without stream profile.
>
> So this is what is confusing and annoying about the profile. We say
> it's optional, but then we only test with it on. We generate the
> distributed binary packages with the profile. We only test end to end
> functionality with the profile. So it's optional, but we always turn
> the option on.
>
> If we are to keep the profile, then the optional stuff should be truly
> optional. I.e. server-bin with the profile should be identical to
> server-bin without the flag. And all integration testing that isn't
> testing functionality in the extensions should be against server-bin
> without the profile. Anything that requires the profile in integration
> testing should be in a different directory to make it clear that it's
> not testing core.
>
> I agree that the separation of core and extensions is good. But right
> now, we're not actually enforcing it because this is an integration
> problem, and we're only testing with the profile on.

I have explained that before. We need to improve integration tests.

Re: Dropping 'stream' profile

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.

Re: Dropping 'stream' profile

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 4:19 AM Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org> wrote:

> Resurrecting this thread, since it seems discusssions and decisions
> have been made about it, but there's no record of these anywhere that
> matters.

There is no decision made. However I am -1 to drop stream profile, as I
have explained in may different threads that I have been mentioned.

Here is the summary I don’t like dropping stream profile.

I put table service and distributedlog under stream, because the whole
stuff is built as an extension to bookkeeper core (ledger service). So this
extension is optionally. With that being said, the bookkeeper distribution
should can be built with and without stream profile.

I insist having this profile to enforce people organizing the code and
structure in that way.

The reason for bkctl should be applied to standalone.

> 4.8.1-rc1 is out for vote, and once again if you build it in the
> default way, random things do not work.

Again building bookkeeper without stream profile should work. If it
doesn’t, it is a bug to fix.

Currently standalone doesn't
> work straight away

(and it kicks off a build in the background without
> indicating whether anything is going on).

All the scripts is provided to be working at two conditions: in a released
binary package and in a source directory. If it is running in a source
directory and it is not built, it will run maven command to build and
generating the classpath.

> So, my questions are:
> - Are we keeping -Dstream?

-1 to drop the profile

- If so, why?

As I said, the bookkeeper should be built without stream profile. If not,
that is a bug.

> And if we do, keep it, we need to disable anything in the default
> build that depends on it.

Yes. The organization of the code structure should be fixed.

Re: Dropping 'stream' profile

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.

Re: Dropping 'stream' profile

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.