Posted to dev@hivemind.apache.org by Kris Bravo <kr...@corridor-software.us> on 2005/12/30 02:52:30 UTC

Generic Startup?

Hivemind showed up on the mavan 2 mojo plugin dev list a few days ago
and I'm looking to give it a try as a replacement for my client side
application container.

As far as I can tell, the project takes care of looking up the bits and
pieces of an application very well. So far though, I haven't found a
generic entry point for an application described by a particular
hivemodule.xml.

I've looked over several of the examples including the main() shown
here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/hivemind/bootstrap.html#Building+the+Registry

What immediately comes to mind is that if Hivemind is a microkernel, why
would custom code need to start the application up? Is it possible to
define the startup service in the configuration file, i.e., the first
service to instantiate which in turn looks up the others?

Ideally the entry point to the application would be defined and the
arguments would be obtainable from the microkernel by any module in the
JVM.

Let me know if I'm overlooking how this is approached. If it isn't, I'd
like to discuss/contribute some time towards implementing such a thing
so Hivemind can take care of this aspect of application development for
me as well. There's not much sense in rewriting main()s that simply grab
the registry, create an initial service and pass it arguments.

Kris