Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by John W Vines <jo...@ugov.gov> on 2012/02/03 17:36:23 UTC

Re: status of .deb install?

So, I'm working on ACCUMULO-19 and I'm a bit stuck. I'm more or less shooting for a target I cannot see, so I'm hoping to get some feedback from potential users of this debian packaging.

I'm trying to figure out the proper way for distribution of the configuration files. I'm still working on the core install, which should be barebones, but then there are things like the required xml and sh files. I was debating on copying the example ones if the files do not exist, but I'm not sure if that's overstepping the boundaries of the core install. I'm thinking that end users would then create another deb package for distributing their configuration files, but I'm not 100% on that.

If some of you could walk me through your potential use cases, that would greatly help me design it to work in a.. well, usable manor. Help me help you, is what I'm getting at.

John

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM, John W Vines <jo...@ugov.gov> wrote:
> So, I'm working on ACCUMULO-19 and I'm a bit stuck. I'm more or less shooting for a target I cannot see, so
>I'm hoping to get some feedback from potential users of this debian packaging.

I suggest that after the installation the user should have a working,
single-node cluster. The last thing the install does is display a
README.debian which says the user should configure memory correctly,
update the master and slave files, and other stuff. The memory setting
might be hard to handle, but maybe there could be a series of files
like memory.2gb.env.sh, memory.4gb.env.sh. The installation can copy
the smallest setting to memory.current.env.sh. The filenames need a
bit of work to make more sense...