Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by co...@covalent.net on 2002/04/01 20:24:15 UTC

PROPOSAL: new 'wrapper' commons component

Hi,

I would like to propose a new common component, based on code used
in tomcat, avalon and other java servers to work as NT services and unix
daemons.

The initial code is based on the wrapper project at sourceforge,
and will replace ( and be merged with ) the other components
that duplicate the same functionality ( daemon, jk_nt_service, etc).

Attached is the proposal, please send your votes.

Costin

Re: PROPOSAL: new 'wrapper' commons component

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose a new common component, based on code used
> in tomcat, avalon and other java servers to work as NT services and unix
> daemons.
>
> The initial code is based on the wrapper project at sourceforge,
> and will replace ( and be merged with ) the other components
> that duplicate the same functionality ( daemon, jk_nt_service, etc).
>
> Attached is the proposal, please send your votes.

+1.

'wrapper' has more advanced features than all the other service wrappers
currently used @Jakarta (or elsewhere).

Remy

Re: PROPOSAL: new 'wrapper' commons component

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 11:10:40AM -0800, costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 costinm@covalent.net wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to propose a new common component, based on code used
> > in tomcat, avalon and other java servers to work as NT services and unix
> > daemons.
> >
> > The initial code is based on the wrapper project at sourceforge,
> > and will replace ( and be merged with ) the other components
> > that duplicate the same functionality ( daemon, jk_nt_service, etc).
> >
> > Attached is the proposal, please send your votes.

+1

Can anyone think of a more descriptive, less generic name than
"wrapper"? :)

--Jeff

Re: PROPOSAL: new 'wrapper' commons component

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose a new common component, based on code used
> in tomcat, avalon and other java servers to work as NT services and unix
> daemons.
>
> The initial code is based on the wrapper project at sourceforge,
> and will replace ( and be merged with ) the other components
> that duplicate the same functionality ( daemon, jk_nt_service, etc).
>
> Attached is the proposal, please send your votes.
>
> Costin

  Proposal for /wrapper/ Package

      (0) Rationale

Many server-side software projects need to be started and run as
deamons. The wrapper package provides a platform-independent mechansim
to define, load and keep alive servers - integrating the platform
specific mechanisms like Windows Services or Unix daemons.

This functionality is already duplicated and fragmented among various
jakarta projects. Tomcat3.x is using jk_nt_service, Tomcat4 is using
JavaService, avalon is using the Wrapper. Many other variations are
known to exist.

      (1) Scope of the Package

This proposal is to create a package using the original code from
Wrapper project, curently hosted on SourceForge. The project will be
integrated with existing code and can be shared by all server-side
projects, replacing and beeing integrated with jk_nt_service and the
other solutions

      (1.5) Interaction With Other Packages

/wrapper/ relies on standard java and C code, but currently doesn't
require any external library.

The wrapper uses a properties file to specify the parameters used to
start the JVM, similar with what jk_nt_service is using.

      (2) Initial Source of the Package

The initial Java classes will be contributed by the original wrapper
developers, and will be integrated with and into existing projects

At this moment, wrapper is the most advanced and provides many features
not found in any other 'windows service wrapper' packages, like Unix
support and monitoring/restarting of failed processes.

The proposed package name for the new component is
|org.apache.commons.wrapper|.

      (3) Required Jakarta-Commons Resources

    * CVS Repository - New directory |wrapper| in the |jakarta-commons|
      CVS repository.
    * Mailing List - Discussions will take place on the general
      /commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/ mailing list. To help list
      subscribers identify messages of interest, it is suggested that
      the message subject of messages about this component be prefixed
      with [wrapper].
    * Bugzilla - New component "wrapper" under the "Commons" product
      category, with appropriate version identifiers as needed.
    * Jyve FAQ - New category "commons-wrapper" (when available).
    * New commiters - The 3 original authors of the package and other
      jakarta commiters are proposed as Jakarta-commons commiters

      (4) Initial Committers

The initial committers on the wrapper component shall be (
alphabetically ):

    * Jean-Frederic Clere
    * Peter Donald
    *
    * Pier Fumagalli
    * Patrick Luby
    * Geir Magnusson
    * Costin Manolache
    * Remy Maucherat
    * Craig McClanahan
    * Leif Mortenson
    * Ryan Shaw
    * Johan Sorlin

In addition we expect other interested people to join.

Re: PROPOSAL: new 'wrapper' commons component

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Michael A. Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 costinm@covalent.net wrote:
>
>>I would like to propose a new common component, based on code used
>>in tomcat, avalon and other java servers to work as NT services and unix
>>daemons.
>>
>>The initial code is based on the wrapper project at sourceforge,
>>and will replace ( and be merged with ) the other components
>>that duplicate the same functionality ( daemon, jk_nt_service, etc).
>

> Why based on code from sourceforge?  Why not base it off code that's
> already here?  As in, why not base it off the daemon component that's
> already in the commons sandbox and used by Tomcat 4.0 (that's what the
> daemon proposal states)?  And if you're already going to merge with this
> component, why even propose a new component?  Why not just start merging
> on the daemon component that's already here?
>
> Can someone provide more info on the daemon component in the commons
> sandbox and what impact this proposal as on it?  Maybe Remy,
> Jean-Fredrick, or Pier who are listed as the initial committers for the
> daemon component (and also listed as initial committers in this proposal)?

The code in jakarta-commons-sandbox/daemon runs only in Unix like platforms
(that means you need cygwin to run it under windoze). A possible improvement was
to add APR to get it more win32 native but that is some work before beeing able
to use it.

The SourceForge wrapper already works on windoze and Unix.

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Michael A. Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> > I would like to propose a new common component, based on code used
> > in tomcat, avalon and other java servers to work as NT services and unix
> > daemons.
> >
> > The initial code is based on the wrapper project at sourceforge,
> > and will replace ( and be merged with ) the other components
> > that duplicate the same functionality ( daemon, jk_nt_service, etc).
>
> Why based on code from sourceforge?  Why not base it off code that's
> already here?  As in, why not base it off the daemon component that's
> already in the commons sandbox and used by Tomcat 4.0 (that's what the
> daemon proposal states)?  And if you're already going to merge with this
> component, why even propose a new component?  Why not just start merging
> on the daemon component that's already here?

The reason we propose the 'wrapper' is that at this moment it is the
most advanced. There are at least 5 different codebases implementing
various features - 3 are used in different tomcat versions ( JavaService
and daemon on 4.0, jk_nt_service for 3.x ). In time we'll enhance
wrapper with features from all those - but the first step is to get
started, with the codebase that is closest to our goals.

I think code should be evaluated based on its quality, not source - there
are many fine projects at sourceforge and elsewere.

Costin

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>.