Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2010/03/24 08:45:08 UTC

[VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Ok, finally got some binaries up.  Took a few spins but finally got
something up with good signatures.

The branch to become a tag:

   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/branches/openejb-3.0.2/

The binaries:

   https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheopenejb-014/

So assuming these binaries pass the TCK, here is my +1 vote.

Vote open for 72 hours or as long as it takes to get some TCK numbers
against the proposed binaries.

-David

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
Hi, David:
    If possible, I hope that OPENEJB-1246 could be included in the coming
openejb-3.0.2.  I am trying to run a full TCK for the build with the patch
applied from Geronimo side, but it might need two days to get the final
result.

--
Ivan

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Mar 24, 2010, at 4:10 PM, Jonathan Gallimore wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I'm trying to run the usual ant build script that grabs the itest
> artifacts from the Maven repository and tries to run them against
> OpenEJB standalone and in Tomcat. I'm getting a
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xbean/finder/ClassFinder
> error. (Full log and build script attached). Is this a problem?

Not critical is it's largely aimed at Geronimo 2.1.5, but we get it
running that is a plus.

-David

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Mar 28, 2010, at 11:17 PM, Ivan wrote:

> I might give up to merge it to the coming Geronimo 2.1.5  :-(

No worries, we can hold the vote open for as long as you're willing to
keep fighting :)  And thanks for putting so much effort into it --
very appreciated!

We'll be waiting for your signal.

-David

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.

--
Ivan

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.

--
Ivan

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 29, 2010, at 8:35 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2010, at 3:59 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> I'd be pretty uncomfortable with a "whipped up" source archive that wasn't produced by the normal maven release procedure.
>
> That's perhaps a little too restrictive, but I'll do the best I can.

Sounds like it's too late, but my 2 cents...

I'd agree that a normal maven release procedure would be preferred. However, I don't see why it should be *required*. Requiring this would seem a bit counter to the notion that we vote on the source archive -- i.e. I don't like this source archive, because it doesn't produce a source archive. Many Apache projects build a source archive and signature/checksums by hand.

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Apr 1, 2010, at 7:20 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> although I think it would have been simpler just to update the
> parent to apache 7.

We can still do that.

Simpler for me at the time was just to grab what I knew would work
from trunk which only took 2-3 minutes.

> I haven't had a chance to review the rest of the release yet.

No problem.  Will hold off closing the vote till you get the chance.
If you'd prefer I not wait, then please vote a -+0 and state your -1
concerns were addressed -- just to keep things legally clear.

-David

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Apr 1, 2010, at 4:11 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2010, at 5:35 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>

>> On Mar 29, 2010, at 3:59 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>>
>>> I'd be pretty uncomfortable with a "whipped up" source archive that wasn't produced by the normal maven release procedure.
>>
>> That's perhaps a little too restrictive, but I'll do the best I can.
>
> FYI, I did fix up the pom/project to create source and sign them from the maven build then re-rolled the vote.
>
> If you still have concerns happy to address them even if it means more re-rolling.

I'm OK with how this source archive is generated, although I think it would have been simpler just to update the parent to apache 7.  I haven't had a chance to review the rest of the release yet.

thanks
david jencks

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
I've completed some tests here, and this generally seems fine. With the
patch I uploaded to GitHub (http://gist.github.com/348454), I was able to
get a clean run with the whole itest suite passing. The patch is only for
the itest client, so I don't think its show stopping if it isn't committed,
but might be nice. The test script (one of David's from a previous release)
I used is here if anyone wants to use it:
http://people.apache.org/~jgallimore/build.xml<http://people.apache.org/%7Ejgallimore/build.xml>

I've run Rat over the source which looks ok to me, some xml/config files
without headers but nothing else. My Rat output is here:
http://people.apache.org/~jgallimore/rat-output.log<http://people.apache.org/%7Ejgallimore/rat-output.log>

I agree with Kevan and David J - I think we should have a signed source
archive as well. Happy to help with any release stuff I can if you decide it
needs re-doing, I realise its pretty time-consuming.

Jon

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 29, 2010, at 2:22 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2010, at 8:51 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>

>> On Mar 24, 2010, at 3:45 AM, David Blevins wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, finally got some binaries up.  Took a few spins but finally got something up with good signatures.
>>>
>>> The branch to become a tag:
>>>
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/branches/openejb-3.0.2/
>>>
>>> The binaries:
>>>
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheopenejb-014/
>>>
>>> So assuming these binaries pass the TCK, here is my +1 vote.
>>>
>>> Vote open for 72 hours or as long as it takes to get some TCK numbers against the proposed binaries.
>>

>> Source and build look good. Is there a signed source archive? I didn't find one...
>
> Looks like for 3.0.1 we just relied on the individual signed source archives created by maven, plus the svn tag.  Seems good enough for this release as well.
>
> I can whip up a tar of the tag if we feel we need it.

My understanding of current apache policy is that the only actually required and important artifact in a release is a source bundle sufficient to build the project from.  Everything else is maven candy :-)

If you use the current apache 7 pom as an ancestor you get this for free.

Since AFAICT this source bundle is missing from the vote I have to vote -1 on what is out there now.  I'd be pretty uncomfortable with a "whipped up" source archive that wasn't produced by the normal maven release procedure.

thanks
david jencks

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2 -- CANCELLED

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Alright, just going to drop and reroll.  New vote forthcoming.

-David

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2 -- more votes

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Don't think the patch came through - its on gist.guthub.com here:
http://gist.github.com/348454

Jon

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: [VOTE] OpenEJB 3.0.2

Posted by Rex Wang <rw...@gmail.com>.
This vote has been open for 5 days, hope it can be closed asap.

-Rex

2010/3/25 Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry if i'm late.