Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/23 22:52:01 UTC

Trail 0: Interoperability doco

Hi, Directory developers,

I started consolidating interoperability doco under the Space
Christine mentioned:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx10/Interoperability

I have maybe 30 more pages to move over plus I need to review my
personal Confluence site and older Directory and TripleSec doco.  I
won't do mass page dumps because I need to review first for errant
passwords or site-specific IP addresses, etc.

Right now the pages are in a big list and many contain config notes as
opposed to real doco.  Once all the pages are moved over I intend to
organize them into "trails" a la the Sun Java site.  In fact, the
pages are meant to be followed per trails so likely won't make much
sense if you just start browsing them.

You may notice some doco touches on the setup of proprietary or
non-Directory open-source software.  My hope is to not rehash the
million config sites out there or get tons of newbie requests that
belong elsewhere, but simply to touch upon a few key config items that
are used in later tutorials or to point out some basic security
considerations.

I'll send emails as I close the loop on new trails.  Initial trails
will be basic.  Later trails will get more complicated.

Enrique

Re: Trail 0: Interoperability doco

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Enrique Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi, Directory developers,
>
> I started consolidating interoperability doco under the Space
> Christine mentioned:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx10/Interoperability
>
> I have maybe 30 more pages to move over plus I need to review my
> personal Confluence site and older Directory and TripleSec doco.  I
> won't do mass page dumps because I need to review first for errant
> passwords or site-specific IP addresses, etc.
>
> Right now the pages are in a big list and many contain config notes as
> opposed to real doco.  Once all the pages are moved over I intend to
> organize them into "trails" a la the Sun Java site.  In fact, the
> pages are meant to be followed per trails so likely won't make much
> sense if you just start browsing them.
>
> You may notice some doco touches on the setup of proprietary or
> non-Directory open-source software.  My hope is to not rehash the
> million config sites out there or get tons of newbie requests that
> belong elsewhere, but simply to touch upon a few key config items that
> are used in later tutorials or to point out some basic security
> considerations.
>
> I'll send emails as I close the loop on new trails.  Initial trails
> will be basic.  Later trails will get more complicated.

Let's make sure we coordinate all the 1.0 documentation (this is what
DIRxSRVx10 is for) with Stefan and Christine.  These folks have some
kind of vision I think for getting a tight professional look and feel.

Alex