Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Severn Dickinson <al...@encounter.eclipse.co.uk> on 2005/01/26 19:59:16 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Installation

Hi,

Installed Apache as per instructions, got the site working fine on
HYPERLINK "http://localhost:8080"http://localhost:8080

Set my adsl router to forward requests from my domain name (which is
pointing at my fixed ip) from http port 80 to port 8080. The apache
config looks at port 8080 (not http 80).

I've check no other process's are using port 80 using netstat -a and -an
all looks ok.

router is set to foward port 80 packets to port 8080 on the correct
private ip

Disabled all firewalls (zone alarm, windows firewall and spi hardware
firewall on router).

Type either my ip or domain address in web address bar (firefox or ie)
and get error "The connection was refused when connecting to *sitename*"

Can ping/tracert my router and domain name from an offsite location no
probs. if i go to HYPERLINK
"http://proxy.guardster.com/"http://proxy.guardster.com/ and enter
either ip or domain name it shows my site as expected.

Any ideas please?

regards

Severn Dickinson

HYPERLINK "http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=70"Get
Firefox!

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Installation

Posted by dan <in...@hostinthebox.net>.
Severn Dickinson wrote:
> Hi, thanks for the advice, how to I get port 80 info forwarded to my ip
> if its blocked by the isp? What options have I got because I want a user
> to type my address in and it goes to my server?
>
> Sorry,
>
> Real newbee at hosting my own website.
>
> Thanks
>
> Severn.

No worries.  As a newbie, start posting your reply below the message,
that would just help a lot right there :)

Most ISPs will not unblock this, unfortunately.  You can ask, but
chances are slim.

I did this a couple years back, but it pretty much wastes an IP...  I
had a spare IP on a co-located box, and I forwarded that port 80 to my
IP's port 8080, as you had said.  So all the communication would
basically go through that co-located box, and it would act as a middle man.

Good luck, hope that helps
-dant

RE: [users@httpd] Apache Installation

Posted by dan <in...@hostinthebox.net>.