Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Mark Kerzner <ke...@shmsoft.com> on 2011/03/07 15:22:09 UTC

How to investigate the performance of replication?

Hi,

I have set up replication, and it is working. Now i am interested in the
performance implications of it. What is the best way to approach this?
Should I use the "verifyrep" mentioned at the
http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/replication/package-summary.html#requirements
end of the setup document here , and just try to measure or are there
better, theoretical ways, to approach this?

Thank you,
Mark

RE: LZO Compression

Posted by Peter Haidinyak <ph...@local.com>.
Thanks, I'll give it a try again.

-Pete

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

RE: LZO Compression

Posted by Peter Haidinyak <ph...@local.com>.

Re: LZO Compression

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

LZO Compression

Posted by Peter Haidinyak <ph...@local.com>.
Hi,

Re: How to investigate the performance of replication?

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
> However, as far as performance, your answer seems to imply that "build it
> and make sure that it works, then measure the performance in
> your environment, and try to improve it if it is a problem," am I
> understanding you correctly?

I haven't answered anything yet since I was trying to understand your
question, and the title of your email first mislead me into thinking
you wanted to measure the performance of replication, not the side
effects of it :)

But my answer would have been what you just wrote (are you reading my
mind??). Regarding the improvements, you can tell replication to
buffer less data with replication.source.size.capacity which defaults
to 64MB.

Which reminds me... currently there's no way to tell replication to
slow down, it will just try to read/push as fast as it can. Shouldn't
be too hard to add some sort of throttling.

J-D

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Mark,