Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Khaja, Raziuddin (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C]" <ra...@nih.gov> on 2016/09/23 13:17:49 UTC

Upgrading from Cassandra 2.1.12 to 3.0.9

Hello all,

I would like to upgrade my Cassandra cluster from 2.1.12 to 3.7.

I have read the following documentation:

·         http://docs.datastax.com/en/latest-upgrade/upgrade/cassandra/upgrdCassandra.html

·         https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/cassandra-3.7/NEWS.txt

but still had some questions:

·         The upgrdCassandra.html page says : “Upgrade from Cassandra 2.1 versions later or equal to 2.1.9 directly to Cassandra 3.0.x”, and I am not sure if this includes 3.x, my question is: Can I upgrade directly to 3.7?

·         Can I run a heterogeneous cluster, with one DC running 2.1.12 and another DC running 3.7?

Thanks,
-Razi

Re: Upgrading from Cassandra 2.1.12 to 3.0.9

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
To me clear about the mixed versions. You do not want to do it. Especially
if the versions are very far apart.

Typically you can not run repair in mixed versions.
You can not do schema changes with mixed versions.
Data files from new versions are not readable from old versions.

Basically you only want to have mixed versions while you are doing an
upgrade. You want to finish the update across all nodes quickly (without
rushing).

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.

Posted by SmartCat - Scott Hirleman <sc...@smartcat.io>.

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.