Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it> on 2007/10/15 13:05:41 UTC

Proof of concept for an Integrated OFBiz framework for business intelligence

Hi all,

in rev. 584727 I've committed my work on a proof of concept for an
Integrated OFBiz framework for business intelligence.
This is essentially a new specialpurpose component (but it will probably
disappear as soon as all its parts will be integrated in the main OFBiz
applications) with a simple web application.
For more details, visit the new tab "Business Intelligence" and read the
component introduction in the main page (there are also instructions on
how to start.... everything is very simple).
And of course, let me know your opinions/questions/comments etc...

*IMPORTANT*: the datawarehouse report will drill up/down correctly only
if the patch attached to this mail is applied; I will commit it (or an
equivalent variant) soon but I have to wait for feedback on this in the
dev list before... by the way I'll let you know as soon as it is in.

Jacopo

Re: Proof of concept for an Integrated OFBiz framework for business intelligence

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Vince,

you are totally correct: these are separate/independent efforts.

BI effort:
1) creating a data model for dimensional analysis (datawarehouse) for OFBiz
2) low level services to facilitate the communication between the
transactional and dimensional database
3) services to keep the dimensional data synchronized
4) (as a lower priority) a simple reporting tool for dimensional analysis

BIRT effort (but Guo will probably be more precise on this, I've just
read his Jira issue):
a) integration of the BIRT reporting engine into OFBiz

I don't know much about BIRT, but if it can be used for dimensional
analysis, it would be interesting to use it to provide examples for
advanced reports (see point 4 above).

Jacopo

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
De : "Vince M. Clark" <vc...@globalera.com>
> Could someone clarify for the community what is the difference between this BI effort and the activity I see on Jira relatted to
BIRT?

Not sure I know all but here I go

> My sense is that BIRT is a reporting tool, and the new proof of concept for BI is about populating a data warehouse. Is this a
correct assessment?

I believe the same

>Is there any relationship between the two initiatives or opportunities to build upon each other?

Not yet... (Jacopo and jack guo have begun to discuss about it : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1348)

My 2 cts

Jacques

PS : I put some information about licence in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1348#action_12535273

De : "Jacopo Cappellato" <ti...@sastau.it>

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Jacopo,

De : "Jacopo Cappellato" <ti...@sastau.it>

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

[...]

sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
[...]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
had to read up to make sure what I called business intelligence  did not
over lap yours. I am referring to the email i send on the dev group New
concept for product store and products

BTW did some OLAP work back in 97.
built an app that let you build cube reports form various datawarehouses
and import them in to spreadsheet.
Might be interesting to integrate into openoffice spread sheet.
time frame for this is probably 2008-2009.:)

Jacopo Cappellato sent the following on 10/16/2007 2:18 AM:

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Of course,

Posted by guo weizhan <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Ok,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Derrick,

Derrick Kittler wrote:
> Jacopo-
> The BI component is an excellent start to overall BI suite. Are you
> thinking that OFBiz can be used as a standalone BI platform something
> like Pentaho? Or are you thinking the BI will only support OFBiz-centric
> apps.

The main goal right now is to create a clean, well documented (by meta
data) data model for datawarehouse based on best practices and together
with the services (business rules) and ecas (triggers) to keep its data
updated and synchronized with the transactional data model (i.e. the
data model of OFBiz). For this, it will just be something strictly
related with the OFBiz applications.
Of course, it would be possible to extract the data model for the
datawarehouse and use it outside of OFBiz.

> It would be excellent if there was another all-star open source BI
> suite in the works.
>
> Again, I think it is great work.

Thanks, you are too kind

Jacopo

Posted by Derrick Kittler <de...@tricision.com>.
Jacopo-
The BI component is an excellent start to overall BI suite. Are you
thinking that OFBiz can be used as a standalone BI platform something
like Pentaho? Or are you thinking the BI will only support OFBiz-centric
apps. It would be excellent if there was another all-star open source BI

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Ok,