Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Mark Woon <mo...@SMI.Stanford.EDU> on 2003/06/26 18:29:09 UTC

Excalibur logging configuration

Hi all...

Is there any good documentation on the format for logkit.xml?  I see a
couple examples scattered about, but no DTD or anything.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to have a category with multiple
targets on different log-levels.  For example, I have console and a file
target for the "roles" category.  I would like all debug messages to go
to the logfile and error messages to go to the console.  I've tried
doing it a couple different ways:

<category name="system" log-level="DEBUG">
  <log-target id-ref="avalonLogfile"/>

  <category name="roles" log-level="DEBUG">
    <!-- can't seem to set log-level on target -->
    <log-target id-ref="console" log-level="ERROR"/>
    <log-target id-ref="avalonLogfile"/>
  </category>

  <!-- lower log-levels don't get sent to parent category -->
  <category name="components" log-level="ERROR">
    <log-target id-ref="console"/>
  </category>
</category>

Any ideas on how I may be able to get this working?  Is this even possible?

Thanks,
-Mark

Re: Excalibur logging configuration

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 12:29  PM, Mark Woon wrote:
> What I'm trying to figure out is how to have a category with multiple
> targets on different log-levels.  For example, I have console and a
> file target for the "roles" category.  I would like all debug messages
> to go to the logfile and error messages to go to the console.  I've
> tried doing it a couple different ways:

Use the priority-filter target to filter the more-restrictive target.
-pete