Posted to adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org by Chris Eidhof <ei...@oracle.com> on 2007/02/15 00:08:28 UTC

Split up the CSS across multiple files

Hey everyone,

I really don't like very long files, and especially the long css-files.
So I was wondering: why don't we split up the css-file into multiple
files: one components-shared.css, and one file for each component. I
think that this will create more overview, and it separates things a bit
more. Also, I'm working on a project with a really large skin, so
there's a lot of other issues with editing such a file (my scrollbar
moves a lot of lines per pixel, I can't really browse anymore but have
to search a lot, etc.). Mostly minor things, but it's still annoying.

Furthermore, the project I'm working on has multiple skin-files, and I
think it would be much more convenient to have my rules grouped by
component instead of per skin. This is a related, but different feature.

So the features I'm proposing:
* Support @import for including other stylesheets
* Separate large stylesheets into component-specific stylesheets
* Be able to define rules for multiple skins in one file (I guess we
need to extend the syntax for that).

Any thoughts on this?

--
chris

Re: Split up the CSS across multiple files

Posted by Jeanne Waldman <je...@oracle.com>.
I created this issue* http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ADFFACES-386

Posted by Chris Eidhof <ei...@oracle.com>.
Hey,
>> * Be able to define rules for multiple skins in one file (I guess we
>> need to extend the syntax for that).
>
> Eh, -1 I think...  this seems contrary to the idea of having
> smaller files.  I'm not sure the benefit is worth the extra
> syntax and code.
I'm not sure either. If you got multiple skins that extend each other,
it can be really handy, so you can really easily move stuff around
between skins while you stay in the same file. On the other hand, the
disadvantages might be big: once multiple skins are intertwined in the
same file, and you want to remove one skin, you probably have to
manually do that.

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.