Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Spark Enthusiast <sp...@yahoo.in> on 2015/08/19 08:55:39 UTC

How to automatically relaunch a Driver program after crashes?

Folks,
As I see, the Driver program is a single point of failure. Now, I have seen ways as to how to make it recover from failures on a restart (using Checkpointing) but I have not seen anything as to how to restart it automatically if it crashes.
Will running the Driver as a Hadoop Yarn Application do it? Can someone educate me as to how?

Re: How to automatically relaunch a Driver program after crashes?

Posted by William Briggs <wr...@gmail.com>.
When submitting to YARN, you can specify two different operation modes for
the driver with the "--master" parameter: yarn-client or yarn-cluster. For
more information on submitting to YARN, see this page in the Spark docs:
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/running-on-yarn.html

yarn-cluster mode will run the driver inside of the Application Master,
which will be retried on failure. The number of retries is dependent on the
yarn.resourcemanager.am.max-attempts configuration setting for the YARN
ResourceManager.

Regards,
Will

Re:Re: How to automatically relaunch a Driver program after crashes?

Posted by Todd <bi...@163.com>.

I think Yarn ResourceManager has the mechanism to relaunch the driver on failure. But I am uncertain.
Could someone help on this? Thanks.

At 2015-08-19 16:37:32, "Spark Enthusiast" <sp...@yahoo.in> wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Are Standalone or Mesos the only options? Is there a way to auto relaunch if driver runs as a Hadoop Yarn Application?

On Wednesday, 19 August 2015 12:49 PM, Todd <bi...@163.com> wrote:

There is an option for the spark-submit (Spark standalone or Mesos with cluster deploy mode only)
  --supervise                 If given, restarts the driver on failure.