Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2016/05/20 11:21:29 UTC

Re: Can tomcat be configured for ECDHE and DHE cipher suites

On 20/05/2016 12:18, Utkarsh Dave wrote:
> Hi Mark - Thanks.
> SSLHonorCipherOrder, cna it be configured on Tomcat ?

There would not have been much point telling you about a configuration
option you could not use would there?

It sounds like you need to spend a few minutes looking over the TLS
configuration options for the APR/native HTTP connector:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/http.html#SSL_Support_-_APR/Native

Mark

Posted by Utkarsh Dave <ut...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mark.
It appears it is client (3rd party which requests to tomcta) to choose the
cipher while negotiating. We can use SSLHonorCipherOrder
to enforce the server's cipher order.
I guess i got my answer.

-Thanks
Utkarsh Dave

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Mark,

On 5/25/16 10:38 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 25/05/2016 15:17, Utkarsh Dave wrote:
>> Hello Mark,
>>
>> I have a question for SSL Support - BIO and NIO. It is mention
>> that useServerCipherSuitesOrder can be used with Java 8 only So
>> is there a way (in java 7 and BIO and NIO support ) or another
>> parameter we can use with "ciphers" to force client follow the
>> order of ciphers.
>
> No.
>
>> The JSSE implementation guide documents that the client tells the
>> server which cipher suites it has available, and the server
>> chooses the best mutually acceptable cipher suite.
>
> Then the JSSE implementation guide is wrong. The client presents
> the ciphers it supports in client preference order and the server
> picks the first one it can support.

No, it doesn't. The server is free to choose whatever cipher is
mutually-supported. Unless "honor server cipher ordering" is enabled,
most servers will choose the first cipher presented by the client. The
tradition of using the client's favorite cipher suite is just that: a
tradition. It's not in the spec at all:

"
   The cipher suite list, passed from the client to the server in the
   ClientHello message, contains the combinations of cryptographic
   algorithms supported by the client in order of the client's
   preference (favorite choice first).  Each cipher suite defines a key
   exchange algorithm, a bulk encryption algorithm (including secret key
   length), a MAC algorithm, and a PRF.  The server will select a cipher
   suite or, if no acceptable choices are presented, return a handshake
   failure alert and close the connection.  If the list contains cipher
   suites the server does not recognize, support, or wish to use, the
   server MUST ignore those cipher suites, and process the remaining
   ones as usual.
"
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5246#page-40)

The problem here is the definition of "best". If the JSSE
implementation guide thinks that "best" is "most preferred by the
client" then it will choose the first mutually-supported cipher suite.
Your definition of "best" probably means "highest security", and so it
will fail your test while passing the client's test of "best".

This is why "honor server cipher suite order" was invented: it allows
the SERVER to decide what "best" means instead of leaving the decision
to "tradition" by whatever definition.

- -chris

Re: Can tomcat be configured for ECDHE and DHE cipher suites

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Utkarsh Dave <ut...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mark,