Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Simon <gr...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/03 04:19:06 UTC

SA TIMED OUT message debian sarge

Hi There,

Using spamassassin 3.1.3-0bpo1 from backports.org on debian sarge. We
did have the standard 3.0.x sarge package. Using amavis-new to call
spamassassin and after upgrading spamassassin we are now getting these
messages in the mail.log. Would someone please be able to assist in
where to go with this one?

Thanks

Simon

Nov  3 16:14:46 mx1 amavis[4765]: (04765-05) SA TIMED OUT, backtrace:
at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Locker.pm line 70\n\teval {...}
called at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Locker.pm line
70\n\tMail::SpamAssassin::Locker::jittery_one_second_sleep('Mail::SpamAssassin::Locker::UnixNFSSafe=HASH(0x9bd23cc)')
called at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Locker/UnixNFSSafe.pm
line 83\n\tMail::SpamAssassin::Locker::UnixNFSSafe::safe_lock('Mail::SpamAssassin::Locker::UnixNFSSafe=HASH(0x9bd23cc)',
'/var/amavis/var/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist', 30, 0700) called at
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/DBBasedAddrList.pm line
72\n\tMail::SpamAssassin::DBBasedAddrList::new_checker('Mail::SpamAssassin::DBBasedAddrList=HASH(0xa4fcecc)',
'Mail::SpamAssassin=HASH(0x8b800bc)') called at
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/AutoWhitelist.pm line
95\n\tMail::SpamAssassin::AutoWhitelist::new('Mail::SpamAssassin::AutoWhitelist',
'Mail::SpamAssassin=HA...

Re: SA TIMED OUT message debian sarge

Posted by Simon <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 11/3/06, Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si> wrote:
> On Friday November 3 2006 05:23, Matt Kettler wrote:
> > I believe the option is $sa_timeout
> > Not sure what the default is, probably 30. Which should be enough to
> > prevent that problem, unless you have a LOT of sa instances contending
> > for the AWL database.
> > Try adding a $sa_timeout = 60 to your Amavisd.conf and  lock_method
> > flock to your spamassassin/local.cf (if you don't use NFS for DB storage.)

Thanks for all the replies on this topic.. With a combination of the
answers, i *seem* to have it sorted as well as a couple of good hints
to increase speed etc.

Thanks again.

Re: SA TIMED OUT message debian sarge

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
On Friday November 3 2006 05:23, Matt Kettler wrote:
> I believe the option is $sa_timeout
> Not sure what the default is, probably 30. Which should be enough to
> prevent that problem, unless you have a LOT of sa instances contending
> for the AWL database.
> Try adding a $sa_timeout = 60 to your Amavisd.conf and  lock_method
> flock to your spamassassin/local.cf (if you don't use NFS for DB storage.)

A note for the archive:
  $sa_timeout is relevant primarily for versions older than 2.4.0.
  SA allowed time is now controlled primarily through $child_timeout,
  which defaults to 8 minutes, 2/3 of that is 5+ minutes.

The 2.4.0 release notes say:

- added ability to kill externally running decoder process or a command-line
  virus scanner process if running for too long; ...;  allowed time is
  calculated as 2/3 of the remaining time (initially at $child_timeout),
  but at least 10 seconds;

- use the same timeout calculation as above for calls to SA, taking
  $sa_timeout instead if that value is bigger than the calculated time,
  thus making $sa_timeout pretty much redundant;

Mark

Re: SA TIMED OUT message debian sarge

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.

>>Is your amavis set with an abnormally short timeout for SA?
>
>Hmm.. Where do find this setting in my amavis conf file?

The default is 30 seconds (at least in older versions of amavisd-new). You
can add:

$sa_timeout = 50;

As Matt says, 'lock_method flock' will also help. Are you using Pyzor? If
so, changing to the mirror will also help:

echo "82.94.255.100:24441" > /var/lib/amavis/.pyzor/servers

Gary V

Get today's hot entertainment gossip
http://movies.msn.com/movies/hotgossip?icid=T002MSN03A07001

Re: SA TIMED OUT message debian sarge

Posted by Simon <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 11/3/06, Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Simon wrote:
> > Hi There,
> >
> > Using spamassassin 3.1.3-0bpo1 from backports.org on debian sarge. We
> > did have the standard 3.0.x sarge package. Using amavis-new to call
> > spamassassin and after upgrading spamassassin we are now getting these
> > messages in the mail.log. Would someone please be able to assist in
> > where to go with this one?
>
> Looks like for some reason a SA instance couldn't get a lock on the AWL
> database to update it before amavis killed it.
>
> Provided you don't have your bayes or AWL stored on an NFS share, you
> might consider switching to lock_method flock. That will speed up
> lock/release operations.
>
> However, it's very strange that it timed out locking the AWL.. Normally
> SA processes aren't in the AWL very long.
>
> Is your amavis set with an abnormally short timeout for SA?

Hmm.. Where do find this setting in my amavis conf file? These are the
current settings:

$sa_tag_level_deflt  = 0.0;  # add spam info headers if at, or above that level
$sa_tag2_level_deflt = 4.0; # add 'spam detected' headers at that level
$sa_kill_level_deflt = 5.0; # triggers spam evasive actions
$sa_dsn_cutoff_level = 999;   # spam level beyond which a DSN is not sent

$sa_mail_body_size_limit = 200*1024; # don't waste time on SA if mail is larger
$sa_local_tests_only = 0;    # only tests which do not require internet access?
$sa_auto_whitelist = 1;      # turn on AWL in SA 2.63 or older (irrelevant
                             # for SA 3.0, cf option is 'use_auto_whitelist')

Thanks!

Re: SA TIMED OUT message debian sarge

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.