Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/17 03:36:40 UTC

More and better report nagging

I see how I could arrange for Marvin or someone like him to bug
podlings until they actually deliver a report if they are due in the
cycle.

To enable this, I'll add a

 [ ] Add an X between the brackets when the report is complete.

to the template.

This could be taken to gentle reminders to individual mentors.

Would anyone find this sort of thing objectionable?

Now that I've figured out the MoinMoin XMLRPC api, I am positively dangerous.

Re: More and better report nagging

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 on defaulting to DNR.
>>>
>>> How about sending out the whole Incubator report to all podling dev lists,
>>> every month?  That way the DNR shows up without an IPMC member having to
>>> notice and take action.  But in addition, it increases podling exposure to
>>> other projects and to the ASF at large.
>>>
>>> An alternative is to send it out to only the podlings that are reporting for a
>>> cycle, but that's more work and doesn't serve the purpose of connecting the
>>> podling to being in the Incubator quite so cleanly.
>>

>> I feel  all that we are all volunteers, that podlings are volunteers
>> who don't necessarily have their organizational act together, and that
>> calling them out for DNR is not a very effective technique to
>> providing the supervision that we, as a PMC, are on the hook for.  So
>> I'm inclined for now to nag, and to spend a few minutes making that
>> job less labor-intensive.
>
> I'm beginning to think your mind's made up and the original question
> was a pleasantry, but in case not...

At this point I'm cogitating.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 5:21 AM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> > Personally, I'm not against nagging. Actually, when I'm on the receiving
> > end, I usually appreciate it, as timeliness is not a quality I am widely
> > praised for.
> >
> > Some podlings are in a position that is different from TLPs - they are
> > new to the whole thing, and may therefore require a little more help
> > than we would expect a TLP to need in remembering their
> > responsibilities. However, if I were needing to nag a podling that is
> > otherwise near graduation, I'd perhaps be worried.
> >
> > The DNR marker is still important though, and we should be sure that we
> > don't 'over-nag'. We encourage (more earlier in the process of
> > incubation, less later) and if after a few nags they don't do it, then
> > DNR is just fine.
>

> I want, at least, a *quick* way to find out how many DNR's are
> pending, and be able to make informed decisions about nagging. So I
> plan to go ahead with the template that allows a tool to tell who is
> missing.

Seems reasonable to me.

Upayavira

Re: More and better report nagging

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 5:54 AM, Christian Grobmeier
> <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I really don't object, but when the podling has graduated, they don't
>> have such a reminder.
>>
>> What I am trying to say: the podling gets an reminder. It should be
>> possible to just write this report without nagging. If they don't do
>> it, it's a signal that "something went wrong". Now if you nag,
>> somebody would do it finally. But it would no longer reflect if people
>> actually care on the project or just want to make these e-mails stop.
>
> Please have mercy upon me. I'm the chair. I'm responsible for a
> complete report. I found it labor intensive to check for all the
> reports, and to manually nag the laggards. If it makes you feel
> better, you could view this as my personal tool to automate a task
> that I have to do anyway.

I have mercy. Do whatever you think fits best to you.

In my opinion constant nagging is not necessary - "did not report"
does the job as well as this line is a report as well; if a project
constantly fails report to report its more a matter to retirement than
to play kindergardener.

Again, I do not object. Just wanted to give a you my thoughts.

Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: More and better report nagging