Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Brad Nicholes <BN...@novell.com> on 2004/11/19 23:28:02 UTC

Re: More informative SVN subject line (Re: svn commit: r76284 - apr/apr/trunk)

  I understand about the revision numbers and I agree that it is an
important piece of information, but unnecessary on the subject line.
The subject line needs to include information that allows one to quickly
sort and prioritize the commits.  IMHO, the revision number isn't a
piece of information that helps do that.  Once I have determined that
the commit is important enough for me to review, I will certainly open
and view the contents of the message.  After I have reviewed the commit
via the message contents and determined that further review is
necessary, that is the point when the revision number becomes *very*
important.  As far as the "svn commit:" prefix is concerned, it was
redundant information before and I believe that it is still redundant
information.  Perhaps "svn:" is all that would be required so that when
a commit message is replied to on the dev@ lists, it is distinguished
from other posts.

Brad

>>> justin@erenkrantz.com Friday, November 19, 2004 2:47:17 PM >>>
--On Friday, November 19, 2004 2:41 PM -0700 Brad Nicholes
<BN...@novell.com> wrote:

> listings to keep the subject line shorter and more informative.  I
also
> don't need to see "svn commit: rxxxx" at the front of every message.
> already know it is an SVN commit based on the mailing list it came
from.
>  And if I am really interested in the revision number, I'm sure I
can
> get that from the message content.

IMHO, the revision number is the *most* important attribute of the
commit.
Subversion uses global revision numbers: there is no per-file revisions

like CVS.  If you know the revision number, you can get everything
else.
And, we already had a 'cvs commit: ' prefix on our previous CVS emails.
 --
justin

Re: More informative SVN subject line (Re: svn commit: r76284 - apr/apr/trunk)

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Brad Nicholes wrote:

>  I understand about the revision numbers and I agree that it is an
>important piece of information, but unnecessary on the subject line.
>The subject line needs to include information that allows one to quickly
>sort and prioritize the commits.  IMHO, the revision number isn't a
>piece of information that helps do that.  Once I have determined that
>the commit is important enough for me to review, I will certainly open
>and view the contents of the message.  After I have reviewed the commit
>via the message contents and determined that further review is
>necessary, that is the point when the revision number becomes *very*
>important.

Hm. So would you then remember to add the revision number to the subject
line in replies? In my experience, the revision number aids visual
threading, whereas the list of changed files is mostly just junk once a
conversation about a particular commit gets started.

>  As far as the "svn commit:" prefix is concerned, it was
>redundant information before and I believe that it is still redundant
>information.  Perhaps "svn:" is all that would be required so that when
>a commit message is replied to on the dev@ lists, it is distinguished
>from other posts.

There's "svn commit:" and "svn propchange:", so the "commit" isn't quite
redundant. I suppose "svn:" and "svn propchange:" are different enough,
though, especially as there will (hopefully) be many more commits than
propchanges.

-- Brane

Re: More informative SVN subject line (Re: svn commit: r76284 - apr/apr/trunk)

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.